• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest cone filter?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I want to remove the airbox in my '96 so that I have room to install some other things. Several years ago I had a cone filter in my '90 XJ that was just some stock OEM filter for something, I found at Auto Zone for cheap. I can't remember what that was though. Does anybody know a part number for a basic, OEM type cone filter that works?

Go dig through the square boxes.

AMSOIL - might not be the cheapest, but it's the best - you dont want an oiled gauze filter (like K&N).

Contact gerroffroad.com from the vendors section for the best pricing on Amsoil air filters. They have a variety of cone filters in different sizes and they actually Filter the air unlike some other brands. Reusable, no oil, cleanable, etc. I run a Amsoil drop-in and it is working great at capturing even the baby powder fine dust I find on trails here in the desert.

Wow said:
I want to remove the airbox in my '96 so that I have room to install some other things. Several years ago I had a cone filter in my '90 XJ that was just some stock OEM filter for something, I found at Auto Zone for cheap. I can't remember what that was though. Does anybody know a part number for a basic, OEM type cone filter that works?

Interested in the same thing I think, a paper cone filter. I heard a rumor there was one from a tractor or some such, but I don't know?

:roflmao: You could remove the airbox and put a sock over the air tube, you could use two socks and have double filtration. :roflmao:

razdrvr said:
:roflmao: You could remove the airbox and put a sock over the air tube, you could use two socks and have double filtration. :roflmao:

2 socks, some panty hose w/ a hole in it and some mud to cover it all and you would have the awesome filtering ability of a K&N!

Not wanting to HJ the thread, but do have a question along the same lines I guess.
Currently running a K&N FIPK. And from what I have read on the forum, the K&N does not do a very good job of filtering very small particles. So, I'd like to know if there is a paper type (cone??) filter that I could use to replace the K&N filter element? I want to leave the plumbing like it is, just replace the element with a better one.

Not sure if this is what everyone refers to as a "cone" filter or not so be easy on me :)

I run one of these http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx on the end of a rustys air tube (which is just a 3" OD tube). I think I run the 3050 model, but can't remember the exact one. Used to run a K&N, but kept finding a film of dust on the inside of the air tube, not any more. I run one of the stock style replacement Amsoil filters in our hemi. They work good.

Put one of these on it also. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eapf.aspx Pre-filters down to .005" particles.

I like the cones way better than the stock style element because the air box takes up a ton of space.

You can get them from me, HaleYes, whowey, gerr, jjmat3, etc.

Pick your poison.

This link shows the different sizes of cone type air filters Amsoil has available.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Truth is any cone under the hood (w/out outside air directed at it and shielded from underhood heat) isn't that good for your engine and the combustion process. You would be better of w/ the factory intake box and the Amsoil Ea drop in filter which flows plenty for the 4.0L and draws it from a cooler source than underhood.

Wow, the Amsoil sounds like a good filter - but I'm just looking for the cheap paper throw away kind. The one I had before was cone shaped and fit directly into the end of the stock air tube. Cheap and easy...:laugh3:

Purolator A25405. I don't know what car that's for but you can probably cross reference the part number with another brand. It's cylinder rather than cone shaped, paper, with a perfect 3" opening - just like the stock air tube.

Just add a hunk of sewer pipe and you got yourself the cheap bastard air intake system for less than 10 bucks! :cheers:

I'll post pics later if I get around to it...

jjmat3 said:
Truth is any cone under the hood (w/out outside air directed at it and shielded from underhood heat) isn't that good for your engine and the combustion process.

While cold air is better for power (only at WOT), hot air is better for efficiency.

The only way hot air could be bad for the engine is by inducing a knock (and a slight decrease in power).

Hot air is very much better for the combustion process for several reasons.

Once I go visit my buddy in Lancaster(he's been an AMSOIL junky for years), I'll swap out my K&N cone for the eaau3090.
"sic, sic, sic, . . . don't resist"--sorry--post # reminded me of a QOTSA song.

Wow said:
Purolator A25405. I don't know what car that's for but you can probably cross reference the part number with another brand. It's cylinder rather than cone shaped, paper, with a perfect 3" opening - just like the stock air tube.

Just add a hunk of sewer pipe and you got yourself the cheap bastard air intake system for less than 10 bucks! :cheers:

I'll post pics later if I get around to it...
Found a pic:

a25405_sid.jpg

And cross references.
FRAM CA9053
MOPAR 5011836AA
WIX 46677
Not sure how you'd mount it to the pipe though, as it looks like no real clamping suface.

Here's the completed setup:

airfilter.jpg

The 3" pipe just shoves tightly into the stock air tube and the end of the new filter. I had to sand down the edges of the pipe a little to make it fit. Total cost less than $10, and look at all that extra room I have now! I could probably hide a whole kilo in there... :laugh: :shhh:

I don't notice any performance difference at all, but that isn't why I did this anyway. My stock air box was sucking air from the same general area this filter is sitting in.

Back