• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift hight =tire clearance

bcredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what lift hight will except what tire and how much trimming will have to be done. the reason I ask is lift kits are an aproximate to tire clearance!

#1 what kind of room do you have from the axle to the frame rail - front+back

#2 what size tires are you running

#3 how much did you have to trim if any

1. not sure but I am 4.5" over stock
2. 32x11.50x15
3. didn't have to but did. took 1.5" off the fronts and did the slice and bent method on the back. So bout 1.25" in the back.

1) Axle to framerail? No idea but I have a 3" Rusty's lift

2) 265/75/16, or a 32" tire

3) With the stock flares, the tires were rubbing the bottom edges over even the small bumps. Took off the flares and trimmed front and rear up to the small first lip. Cut and folded the rear fender as to not separate the inner and outer metal. I'd say like the guy before me, it got rid of at least 1.5" front and rear. Definitely gave me plenty of clearance, I'd say there is at least 5-6" from the top of each tire to the fender edge.

I had to get my rig inspected recently so I pulled off my 31x10.5's and switched them with a friends stockers. the 31's fit his with 0 lift and 11 year old supension, but they fit (I wouldn't want to drive it, but it fit)

I have no measured clearance for you, but lots of pics - and a picture is worth a thousand words.

3" lift and 32's, no trimming, no rubbing
finch-jeep.jpg

4.5" lift and 32's, no trimming, no rubbing
dsc00414.jpg

6.5" lift and 35's, heavy trimming, no rubbing
FrontLeft.jpg

6.5" and 42's, heavy trimming, rubbing.
7n42s-3.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow, does that rig even flex???

cal said:
6.5" and 42's, heavy trimming, rubbing.
7n42s-3.jpg

33x12.50 on 4.5" lift

100_1544.jpg

vegas_baja said:
Holy cow, does that rig even flex???

Suprisingly, it had about 2" of uptravel and 6" of downtravel, in the front.

You couldnt turn the wheels, though. ;)

It was a random fitment test. I had the wheels off of my jeep, and a set of 42's sitting around..

I have 4.5 front coils/rear bastard pack lift. I ran 32's with no rub/no trim...until I disco the sway bar. I have since gone through a few stages of trim due to the rub while disconnected. With the setup here, it would rub a bit. I have since trimmed the bottom of the flare to the top of the bumper end cap. No rubs yet, but no pics either.
100_0629.jpg

Last edited:
cal said:
Suprisingly, it had about 2" of uptravel and 6" of downtravel, in the front.

You couldnt turn the wheels, though. ;)

It was a random fitment test. I had the wheels off of my jeep, and a set of 42's sitting around..

Yeah, cal will be good with those 42's as he only wheels like once a year. :)

stock:

2006-0901before002a.jpg

1. about 5"
2. 31x10.50x15
3. no trim. rubbed and damaged the fenders at full flex (tires stuffed). adding extra bumpstops fixed the problem.

2007-0224paragon040.jpg

1. about 5"
2. 33x12.50x15
3. trimmed about 1.375" in front, no trim in rear. trail test in two weeks!

0708081203.jpg

Back