• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exploded diagram of Dakota steering box

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have an exploded diagram of a 99 Dakota steering box. I pulled mine apart and it is different than a stocker. I just want to check that somebody hasn't mucked with it.

old_man said:
Anybody have an exploded diagram of a 99 Dakota steering box. I pulled mine apart and it is different than a stocker. I just want to check that somebody hasn't mucked with it.

Is it a Saginaw? They didn't change much over the years. The TRW box (Ford) probably had more gross changes than the Saginaw.

What looks different that you're trying to suss out?

old_man said:

Other than the bigger piston, there's a snap ring at the shaft end of the piston bore, and the cap has 4 tabs that need to be removed. Since you already have the spool valve out, you can pop that snapring loose with a punch through the port then take it out through the opening for the sector shaft. Grind the tabs off the end cap so it's flat, if you compare the ring, it's the same height as the tabs. We did a video of a rebuild of the durango box, with removing the stops. Not too hard to do. 24 balls, dark and shiny, alternate them putting them back in. I get the rebuild kits through CSK. It's a powercraft 8776. It doesn't include the sector shaft bearing. However if you're just resealing a stock box, the bearing is probably fine. Let me pester kevin for the video, we didn't have an ending, but it was just putting the cap back in.

Oh, I just cener the steering, and pull the 4 bolts for the cap then remove the sector shaft with the cap. I don't mess with the backlash adjustment, as it's a pain to set and requires an inch lb torque wrench. You did mark the spoolvalve cap before taking it off right? :) If not, you have to torque it all the way down and then back it of like a 1/4". The lock ring is like 80ft lbs.
Oh, freeze the valve and piston before putting them back in, makes life easier, and be generous lubing it with ps fluid.

Here's the thread that prompted me to do a video.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103

Use this thread for reinserting the balls.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869

Last edited:
I ran into a problem. When I slid in the large piston, the housing had a sharp edge and it shaved off a bit of the teflon seal. Does anyone know where I can get either a single seal or if necessary to get a whole build kit in a hurry?

Also, I got my kit from West Texas Offroad. I ordered it with a replacement sector shaft bearing. As it turns out, they sent a different bearing without the collar. I either will have to get a new bearing or just use the old one.

Back