• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jrc 1 ton problem? *pics*

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had noticed the rubber bushing/tre grease cap was slightly out of place last week. Today it is even more out of place and it seems like the tre has rotated leaving the rubber cap out of place and open. Is this normal or is this a potential problem? If problematic what are the possible solutions.

That's normal with an inverted-t setup on our Jeeps.

Order some new poly bushings(which is what looks "out of place") if you're noticing slop in your steering.

If you have someone turn the wheel while you watch that TRE, you'll see it roll, it just happens.

It is about a year old, my steering is sloppy as hell that could be due to the loose track bar bracket and that tre together though. Monkey: If you could pm about what your using now I would love to order whatever your currently using.

monkeyevil said:
How old is your steering kit? We have changed the density of the spacers recently and they seem to be holding up better.

The new style has held up for over a year now in mine... the old one only lasted a couple months... But with Gas so high I have not been wheeling much, so maybe that has something to do with it 8>)

*UPDATE*

So I went on a 2 day trip to the beach monday and found this as I was leaving yesterday.

I just ordered 3 poly spacers from Jcr but when I asked about overnighting them they said no go. I am leaving saturday morning for a 500 mile or so trip to the outerbanks. My question is, is there any other bushing I can put there? Anything Napa has? I went to advance and they said they had nothing for me. My parts from Jcr wont be here in time (ground shipping). Am I sol or is there something I can put together.

holy shit, that doesn't look good. I was going to go JCR, I'm *hoping* that is something that's not gonna be a problem for me, how does it feel when you're driving it?

It feels like my steering is high, responds to what I do a lot slower. Im about to just cut up 1/2" thick cutting board made of the plastic that people use on skid plates. I figure I could make my own spacers just like the ones Jcr sells. I wont be doing any flexing or anything just straight driving, what do you guys think of that idea?

Heres my ghetto fab engineering spacers:

Last edited:
MG2000XJ said:
It feels like my steering is high, responds to what I do a lot slower. Im about to just cut up 1/2" thick cutting board made of the plastic that people use on skid plates. I figure I could make my own spacers just like the ones Jcr sells. I wont be doing any flexing or anything just straight driving, what do you guys think of that idea?

Heres my ghetto fab engineering spacers:

I was actually thinking about this last night, as the spacer on mine bit the dust after my TRE wasnt tightened all the way.

I was thinking about using some steel, but realized that wouldnt be good. A cutting board would work though, which you obviously thought as well. Let us know how it works.

I will work on this tomorrow, I realized that because I have been driving around without the spacer for a while it has worn out the drivers side as well. I can stand the driveability of the jeep right now so I will post up what I end up doing tomorrow. Most likely will use a hole saw to cut the correct size spacers and see how that works for a day. I think it will really tighten the steering due to the somewhat hard material the spacers will be made out of.

Here they are:

I didnt use and gr. 8 washers to sandwich them but it feels alot better any way.

I used a 2" hole saw to cut the pieces out of my moms cutting board:

Drilled out the center to fit the tre shaft:

Cleaned it up with the dremel:

Passenger side, which had lost the previous spacer all together:

The drivers side which was smaller than the passenger side, nothing the dremel couldnt fix:

They have eliminated alot of the tie rod roll and have tightened up the steering alot. These wont be permanent, just there til I get my spacers from Jcr. I made few extras for the trip just incase as well.

"I bet your mom's thrilled"

Very good thread. I would definately hold on to those even after your JCR parts come in. They would be good trail spares. I believe they will hold up just as good if not better then the parts that you have ordered. You may want to drive it awhile after the parts come in to see.

I don't know how much pressure those will take, nor how much rubbing or wear there receive, but I would think that washers would help spread the pressure out, and help prolong the wear of them.
Either sand down the plastic pieces, or get very thin washers (atleast one on top) which would probably help quite a bit over time.

otherwise it seems like a really good idea you've put into play there, well done.

be sure to give some updates on how well they work, wear, ride and such over time.

I only did it for a cheap fix before my trip but I might leave them in for a while and update my design a bit. The washers will be used when I redo the design of them. I think with flexing and such they will wear real quick without the washers to spread the pressure. Edit* shoulda seen the look on the moms face when I said I cut up her cutting board:laugh:

Back