• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power stearing pulley change???

nate438

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ that has a cracked power stearking pulley that I need to change out. I did some reaseach in to this and was told to use a puller to pull it off the pump shaft. After multiple tries I just end up breaking more of the pulley around the edges. I'm I missing something here?? Or is this the best way/only way to remove the pulley?

That's pretty much it - but it's a specialty tool.

A "power steering pully puller" actually grabs the flange around the hub to pull the pully, which allows it to come off without being distorted. I believe Autozone will rent one out, but I usually just buy stuff like that - I'll need it again! New/reman pumps don't usually come with a pully attached... And, the tool only cost me around twenty bucks.

You can't use a three-jaw puller or anything like that on these pullys - it flat won't work.

The installer is even easier - it should be a screw that threads into the hole in the hub shaft (5/16"-18 or 3/8"-16, I don't recall which,) a couple of flat washers, and a nut.

I find it easier to use two washers (and grease the surfaces where they touch each other) and to paint the hub shaft with never-seez before you put the pully on. Makes it go on a little easier, and helps it come off for next time...

Back