• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 97" Transmission question

SebastianXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi:

Iam from Chile and i have a problem.

I have a cherokee 1997, (is new style) VIN 1j4f67s9vl526399 , and i have problem whit transmission and i want change it.

I found a 00" transmission, but have a diferent code, so i want know if this trannys are compatible.

My tranny is

3043LE-5210

The tranny i found is

3043LE-5210
4210AE

That "AE" what is ????

Another diference i found i my tranny one conector has 5 cables and the other have 7, i think thats could be, beacuse my xj dont have cruise control and ABS...

I can put thats tranny on my XJ, heres a picture of my ecu.

Please Help Thanx a lot.
attachment.php

You should be fine putting the '00 AW4 in your '97, I think anywhere between 97-01 will go in just fine. It was probably just a difference in part numbers of superceding thereof.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
You should be fine putting the '00 AW4 in your '97, I think anywhere between 97-01 will go in just fine. It was probably just a difference in part numbers of superceding thereof.

I think the same, you know something about this ?

"Another diference i found i my tranny one conector has 5 cables and the other have 7, i think thats could be, beacuse my xj dont have cruise control and ABS..."

The AW4 tranny had some sensor changes in 98, which explains the extra two wires. A front input speed sensor was added and the rear sensor changed from 1-pulse/rev to 4-pulses/rev. You can pull the adapter housing off the tranny and swap over the sensor rotor and use the 97 output shaft speed sensor. Drop the pan and swap over the wiring harness, use the 97 NSS, and just leave the front sensor unconnected.

lawsoncl said:
The AW4 tranny had some sensor changes in 98, which explains the extra two wires. A front input speed sensor was added and the rear sensor changed from 1-pulse/rev to 4-pulses/rev. You can pull the adapter housing off the tranny and swap over the sensor rotor and use the 97 output shaft speed sensor. Drop the pan and swap over the wiring harness, use the 97 NSS, and just leave the front sensor unconnected.

Ohh Excelent !!

Just one question, the 97" wiring harness is bolt on to 00" or i have to make some modifications ??

And for change the wiring harness i need open the box or just drop the pan ???

Thanx a lot !!!

Yes, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243739279&postcount=6 shows the sensor rotor I was talking about.

I believe the wiring harness that comes from the tranny has a different connector at the end, where it plugs into the main harness up on the firewall. If it does, you can either cut and splice the 97 connector onto the 00 tranny wiring, or swap over the tranny wiring harness from the 97. To swap the tranny harness, you need to drop the pan and filter to unplug it from the solenoids. This might be the easier solution if you plan to replace or clean the filter anyway. If you look at the second picture in the link above you can see the wires going to the solenoids.

lawsoncl said:
Yes, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243739279&postcount=6 shows the sensor rotor I was talking about.

I believe the wiring harness that comes from the tranny has a different connector at the end, where it plugs into the main harness up on the firewall. If it does, you can either cut and splice the 97 connector onto the 00 tranny wiring, or swap over the tranny wiring harness from the 97. To swap the tranny harness, you need to drop the pan and filter to unplug it from the solenoids. This might be the easier solution if you plan to replace or clean the filter anyway. If you look at the second picture in the link above you can see the wires going to the solenoids.
+

Your correct...

now i understand what wirings i have to swap...looks really easy !

Thanx a lot man....

Back