• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My tow hook predicament...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up some front tow hooks from a fella awhile ago, and I'm working on installing them now.

First off, do I put the brackets on the inside or outside of the bumper? Also, do I need to get all new bolts? If so, what bolts do I need?

I also dont have the bolt for the farthest back part on both bracket...anyone know what bolt that would be?

Thanks!

Well now I have a problem, I'm not sure if this is common or not...but my steering box is in the way.

I grabbed a bolt thats the right length I had lying around and tried to fit her in...no matter what I do I cant get the bolt head or nut in because of the steering box...

Bracket goes on the other side of th frame rail.

Well no matter what I do I wont be able to put the brackets on...they would work if they were between the bumper brackets and the frame, but the bumper brackets are to close in to fit...and they would work if they were on the outside, but on the outside they hit the support for the bumper brackets.

I'm so stumped right now...

Muddy Beast said:
Well no matter what I do I wont be able to put the brackets on...they would work if they were between the bumper brackets and the frame, but the bumper brackets are to close in to fit...and they would work if they were on the outside, but on the outside they hit the support for the bumper brackets.

I'm so stumped right now...

You either need an aftermarket bumper, or set of factory towhooks with the integrated bumper brackets.

Or a big hammer.

I managed to figure it out. Dumb me didn't look to see if the bumper brackets were adjustable...once I noticed they were I moved them out a bit and now it all fits.

I'm on my way down to the local nuts and bolts store to get the bolts from the above directions.

Thanks!

I'll post my findings.

Muddy Beast said:
I'm on my way down to the local nuts and bolts store to get the bolts

Grade 5 or better and hardened washers.

Some people say grade 8 is overkill, but I used it on my tow hooks and brackets.

I got grade 8.8, I told the guy what it was for and he gave me the good stuff.

Only problem I have is this...I couldnt get the top bolt the mounts on the bumper (drivers side) to go in, so I just tightend everything down and left that hole without a bolt, will that be ok?

Oh, and the bolts for the far back part of the tow hooks rub on the sway bar, I pressume it's not that big of deal though since its not hitting them that hard (plus I have lock nuts on...).

Muddy Beast said:
Only problem I have is this...I couldnt get the top bolt the mounts on the bumper (drivers side) to go in, so I just tightend everything down and left that hole without a bolt, will that be ok?

Thats not gonna be good, sounds like you either stripped it out or the stupid nutzert thing broke. Take the bolt to the nuts/bolts store and get a nut for the back, somehow work it in through where its missing one and tighten it down.

Also if you get carrage bolts (flatter round head with a square just below it before it gets to thread) you won't hit the swaybar.

-Alex

I think I'll just get a bolt for the other end...and after doing a good 20 miles of driving on the sway bar/new bolts the rub isn't that bad...so w/e.

Blaine B. said:
Those are some funny looking hooks.

But cheap...?

:dunno:

Muddy Beast said:
I got grade 8.8, I told the guy what it was for and he gave me the good stuff.

8.8 is the metric equivilent of a grade 5. 10.9 is the metric grade 8. Just an FYI. You should be good though, it'll rip through the sheetmetal before breaking a bolt. :)

Back