• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Convertor Recall

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I used to have a '96 Grand Cherokee and it had a bad catalytic convertor, it would rattle a lot and it was a recalled part so chrysler replaced it for free. Well now i have a 99 xj and mine just started to rattle, sounds a little different but still rattles. Since ive owned it the check engine light has come on every few days and stays on a few days for a code of a bad o2 sensor, i had it checked and when i found out it was the o2 sensor i kinda didnt bother to mess with it b/c these are common problems on jeeps and it hasnt been running rough or anything like that so i didnt mess with it...

Anyway, my question is is this recall in effect for XJs as well? Can i get mine replaced for free??? Thanks!

The guy I bought my Axles off of had his cat replaced through a recall. At least that is what he told me, although I have no specifics on the recall at all...

in for answer

I got a recall letter about 2 or 3 years back for my cat, but it had already been replaced by the previous owner. I still brought it in though to have it checked out and they didn't find anything wrong with it, I think the recall also had something to do with the programing of some sort. Don't quote me on that last part though. I drive a 96 XJ. hope any of this helps.

Yes, there was a computer recall a while back. My 2000 has a sticker from the dealer stating that it was reprogrammed, the recall #, date, etc. For any recalls, it never hurts to go to the dealer and ask. You can usually find recalls on the internet, too. I know Progressive insurance has them on their web site.

Yea went to the dealership, they said only recalls issued were airbags and front brake rotors, both of which had been fixed previously in my vehicles history... oh well. Guess its just another reason to add a high flow cat, header and a super 44 :)

I had it done about a year and a half ago when I had my '96 XJ. I believe it was the E22 recall... They replaced the cat (rattling real bad) and flashed the computer.
I now have a '99 and I am not aware of any recalls, but the cat is fine.

Here is the press release on the recall. It came out in 2005.

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) announced today it has reached a settlement with DaimlerChrysler Corporation (DCC) to extend warranty coverage for catalytic converters on more than 90,000 light- and medium-duty trucks and vans built between 1996 and 1999. The auto manufacturer also agreed to recall on-board diagnostic (OBD) systems in about 40,000 of these vehicles and to pay $1 million dollars to the ARB.

"Catalytic converters are critical components in the emission control systems of gasoline powered vehicles, and their failure can cause significant increases in air pollution," said Catherine Witherspoon, ARB Executive Officer. "We are pleased that DaimlerChrysler agreed to correct the problems at no cost to its customers."

DaimlerChrysler Corporation models affected by this action include Dodge Ram Pickups, Ram Vans, Dakotas, Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee vehicles equipped with certain 2.5L, 3.9L, 4.0L, 5.2L and 5.9L engines and equipped with catalytic converters that use a ceramic substrate. A faulty mat material designed to surround and support the substrate can fail to hold it in place during normal driving. Drivers of vehicles with defective catalysts may hear a rattling noise coming from beneath the vehicle, the strongest indicator of a damaged catalyst. Other symptoms that may occur include a loss of power, hard engine starting and illumination of the dashboard check engine light.

Warranties on the affected vehicles will be extended to 10 years/120,000 miles or one year from the date of the owner notification letter, whichever provides longer coverage. The original catalytic converter warranty is 7 years/70,000 miles. DaimlerChrysler Corporation will also cover the catalytic converters on these vehicles for two years from the date of the owner notification letter should the owner fail Smog Check as a direct result of a defective original equipment catalytic converter. Owners who suspect they may have a defective catalytic converter can take their vehicles to a dealer for an inspection at no charge. As part of its agreement, DCC will reimburse any owners who paid to have a defective catalytic converter replaced at their own expense.

In addition to the catalyst problem, the on-board-diagnostic systems (OBD) of some of the affected DCC vehicles built between 1996 and 1998 do not properly detect catalytic converter failure. On board diagnostic systems, which are required in all light- and medium-duty vehicles built for sale in California since 1996, alert drivers of possible malfunctioning emission control equipment by illuminating the check engine light. As part of the settlement, DCC is recalling those vehicles with defective OBD systems and will recalibrate their computers with new software. Under the recall, owners can return their vehicles to a local DCC dealership for a simple software download at no expense to the owner.

Hmmmm.....mine never rattled, but I did used to see the check engine light 4-5 times a week, depending on how much around town driving I did. Finally got tired of chasing that for two years and replaced it with a Magnaflow....have only seen the light once or twice since, and that was after extreme short distance driving.

Back