• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Width Differences (Front and Rear)

4LowandGo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a 92 XJ with a 83 J-10 Dana 44 front and a 98 Explorer 8.8 rear and I have a question. Is it a big deal to have the front wider than the back? My front is approximately 2-3" wider than the rear even though I have wheelspacers on the rear. The spacers bring the rear back to about stock Dana 35 width. It is noticable if you look at it from front to back, so is this an issue or is it no big deal? The axles have 4.56 gears and detroits, so I don't really want to change them out for anything else right now. The wheels are 15x10s and the tires are 33x12.50s.

brightcopy.jpg

Sweetwater08-4.jpg

Thanks!

The front axle is supposed to be wider than the back, every factory 4x4 engineers this into the build. It helps it track straight around corners. A front axle narrower than the rear pushes something fierce around the corners.

yea but not 2-3" wider.. its because the front J10 44 is gonna be a lot wider than the 8.8.. there is nothing wong with it. just looks!!!! If you want your rear to match the front I think you can can get a Ford 9" and it suppost to be full width's. I might be wrong.

Ford 9" should be full width.
Something I've seen in truck pull comps is that an offset in axle width / tire position will give each set of tires more "fresh" dirt to get traction in. Possible upshot.
Other than that - you could designate "rear" tires / wheels and "front" tires / wheels with different backspace to get the effective track width where you want it, no?
I'd leave it alone if it was my rig, or see about narrowing the front 44

Its a non issue, and I wouldnt worry about it...

why narrow a good d44.. you have to get custom made axle shafts after that. just get a 9'' and be done with it.. go all full width's. or leave it as is. Looks good to me.

XJ_ranger said:
Its a non issue, and I wouldnt worry about it...

Ditto.

Eh, if you can center it up under the rig full width and it still fits between all of the trees on the trails you run, go with it. Cheaper, more available spare shafts.

Fot the most glaring example of the wider front axled factory 4x4, go look at a 90's Chev pickup. The fronts are 2-3" wider per side.

Great info guys. Thanks! I know it is a little off, but not enough in my opinion. If I were to do things differently I'd have a 60 or a 14 bolt in the rear, but I went with the 8.8 a year and a half before building my Dana 44. It pulls like a locomotive in the mud and is very stable on the rocks, so I'll keep what I've got for now.

Back