• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do i need to run 7 and 8 rated trails

jonn

NAXJA Forum User
coming from canada for fall fling eh! having never wheeled my xj in moab before i am wondering what mods are needed/ recommended for the harder 7 and 8 rated trails. maybe some people who have done the trails can describe their xj and how it did. i have 6 inches, 35s, front locker, sliders, etc. not to concerned about body damage but will be driving it home so can't be to crazy.

basicallly i would like to do pritchett canyon if similar rigs are on the trail so i am holding the group up.

It kind of sucks in a way because they just went to the 1-10 rated system.

Honestly I am not sure what trails are rated 7-8 now. It would be more helpful to me anyway if I knew what trails you were thinking of running.

I was going to suggest that a rear locker be installed.

thanks for the feedback. looks like a powertraks no slip will be going in my open 8.25 would love to get a selectable but seems like the no-slip has been getting good reviews and can't afford the selectables right now.

jonn said:
thanks for the feedback. looks like a powertraks no slip will be going in my open 8.25 would love to get a selectable but seems like the no-slip has been getting good reviews and can't afford the selectables right now.
That will do you nicely. One thing I see that gets a lot of abuse in Moab is steering. I would personally consider a Terra 2-Low kit mandatory and an upgraded track bar of some sort. Otherwise you should be good to go. As Interpid said, you can run everything (save some really optional lines and BFE) with dual lockers and 33's.

Looking forward to meeting you!

-----Matt-----

jonn said:

I have loved my full Detroit from day one! Have heard good things about the powertracks but have never run one myself.

Do you have alloy shafts & good u joints to hold up to your 35's? Shaft breakages, u-joint and yoke failure have been the most common things i've seen go wrong.
Make sure you have spares & the tools to do the repairs & you'll be just fine.

IXNAYXJ said:
That will do you nicely. One thing I see that gets a lot of abuse in Moab is steering. I would personally consider a Terra 2-Low kit mandatory and an upgraded track bar of some sort. Otherwise you should be good to go.

-----Matt-----

The Moab slickrock has so much grip that it will really bind up your steering and drivetrain if you drive around in low range with automatic lockers. Having selectable lockers, or a 2wd low range option, is a good thing and makes it more comfortable on the trails. Consider that the slickrock has better bite than asphalt or concrete.

Goatman said:
Consider that the slickrock has better bite than asphalt or concrete.
It's like wheeling on sandpaper.

Also a good point that was mentioned is shafts and joints. These take a beating and either spares or alloy shafts and upgraded joints is a must, IMHO. Bring spare tie-rods unless you've upgraded the stock one...Golden Crack has claimed more of these than be counted.

-----Matt-----

great feedback. finanacial restrictions limit me from doing a 2 low kit right now, also i think if i was going to do any transfer case work i would opt for a atlas 4:1 twin stick. my brother has one and it is unbelievable. as for breaking parts i will be bringing spare front axles, tie rod ends and a drive shaft.

jonn said:
great feedback. finanacial restrictions limit me from doing a 2 low kit right now, also i think if i was going to do any transfer case work i would opt for a atlas 4:1 twin stick. my brother has one and it is unbelievable. as for breaking parts i will be bringing spare front axles, tie rod ends and a drive shaft.
through a locker in the rear and drive without a heavy foot and you could do damn near everything around here, 4.1 and 2low would be helpfull but i don't have one and probably never will

I have wheeled on Moab Slickrock for well over ten years. At six of those on 35 inch tires and to this day have never broken a front shaft or ujoint.

It's all about how you supply the skinny petal.

DrMoab said:
I have wheeled on Moab Slickrock for well over ten years. At six of those on 35 inch tires and to this day have never broken a front shaft or ujoint.

It's all about how you supply the skinny petal.
100 percent agreed.

So looking over trail requirements, never running with NAXJA formally, have a question on what my rig will be limited to run. I have and would run a 7 any day of the week, however I know due to bigger group you have to cut the limit somewhere. I am locked Front and rear with 32" tires, will be going to 33's however more then likely having over half tread left and money being sent else where, I will not have them before the event. Will I be limited to run only 6 rated trails? Really asking due to fact would like to run Moab Rim.

Last edited:
Cuma will have the final say!

Back