• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 overhaul... what else?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
94 XJ with an 89 HP disco D30, 4.10's, posi-lok.

Doing some work on the axle before I go to Moab in the fall, I've picked up the following parts:

297x inner and outer shafts
Alloy USA outer tube seals
Aussie Locker

I know I'll need to get a new inner seal for the rt side axle because I'm eliminating the disco, and a block-off plate as well. I've seen some debate in my searches as to what seal is truly needed, and I'm not sure if there's even a way to really tell before its opened up.

What other parts should I be considering right now while I have the axle apart? I'd love to truss, but I dont have the money for it right now.

Also I'm guessing I have to pull the carrier to replace the seal, how do I do this at home without screwing up my gears?

Thanks

You can pull the carrier and put it back in without messing up your gears. Just make sure the caps are replaced in the same spot and orientation.

Get an OEM seal.

Have second thoughts and get two OEM seals.

Remove hubs.

Remove shafts.

Remove balljoints.

Remove carrier.

Fire up dremel tool.

Grind surface behind passenger side carrier bearing until OEM seal goes in. It will be about 30 minutes of work with a dremel tool.

Clean up metal bits.

Clean up more.

Clean up a third time.

Install OEM non disco seal.

Install OEM non disco seal on drivers side too, since its apart.

Reinstall carrier.

Using dremel again, grind your 297 shafts to accept full circle clips.

Install Alloy-USA tube seals.

Install new balljoints.

Install shafts with new 760's and full circle clips.

Install new hubs (if you can afford them).

Clean grease off of dremel.

Clean grease off of borrowed balljoint press and cups.

Enjoy.

cal, wanna help? :D

there's beer in it for you.

maybe next month, I'm mighty busy in July.

If I break out my toolbox though, you're doing unit bearings, balljoints and if its stock, steering.. - most of which I can help you get pretty cheap..

cal said:
maybe next month, I'm mighty busy in July.

If I break out my toolbox though, you're doing unit bearings, balljoints and if its stock, steering.. - most of which I can help you get pretty cheap..

sounds good. i'm happy to learn, but love having some guidance around so i dont fubar my jeep.

I'm on island till September 7, so no rush.

IslanderOffRoad said:
sounds good. i'm happy to learn, but love having some guidance around so i dont fubar my jeep.

I'm on island till September 7, so no rush.

on island?

cal said:
on island?

yeah, I live on Catalina Island half the year.

Back