• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to start with no KEY!!

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to look at an XJ that the tow company we use have it has no key it was left for dead in downtown orlando and i want the motor the jeep is in good shape but i want to turn it over make sure there is no rods or anything busted

What is the best way to start with no key ? Is this even possible. If someone can point me in the right direction i thank you for your help in advance

I imagine you're going to have to get at the ignition wires no matter what, and once you get to them just crossing them should turn it over. I've never tore apart an xj steering column, but maybe somebody here who has could give you the wire colors.

im not sure of the wire colors but the ignition switch is near the bottom of the column, mounted on top right next to the high/low beam switch(mounted on the side). both have a rod connecting to it. you are going to have to find the 12V line, the ACC line and the IGN line. connect the 12V to the ACC(this will give power to everything, including the fuel pump), then touch those together with the IGN until the engine is started.

ive never done this on a jeep, i just know where the ignition switch is. i did do this on an old nissan i had when i lost the keys, drove it like that untill i found my spare.

edit: this is for jeeps with GM columns(up to 94 i believe), not sure about newer jeeps

What year model? They are different.

In the older ones like mine there is a box over the base of the column that actually has the ignition switch in it. The key is just a lock controlled by a long rod. You can turn it over and start it from that box.
Don't know about the newer ones. That what you were getting at Old Man?

i dont know the year and the tow company could careless about finding out for me....next step is if its not a renix is finding out how to put it in my 88 searching now................

If it is the older style, just drop the column, unbolt the ignition switch, and use a screwdriver in the slot to trip the switch.

If it's the old style, I can tell you how to "break" the column and start it, because someone tried to steal mine, so now I have to start mine without the key every time I drive it.

'84 - '94 all have the ignition switch located along the top of the steering column shaft just above the brake pedal. Two 7mm nuts hold it on there. Remove the switch and pull it down to where you can see the slot for the ignition rod that was located under it. Insert a screwdriver and push the switch slide until it turns over and fires up. The steering column will still be locked, but you can see if it runs that way.

'95 to '01 - the ignition switch is behind the steering wheel under the plastic cover of the column below the turn signal switch. Separate the two halves of the column cover by removing 3 torx or philips screws from the bottom half. The ignition switch is a black box held on with two torx screws. Remove those screws and pull out away from the column. There's a round hole where the rod from the ignition lock cylinder fit into it. Insert screw driver and turn it over until it's running.

thanks for the info great stuff i will be trying this out real soon they called me today wiyh the price at 400 bucks.

Back