• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a stock gas tank skid?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a stock gas tank skid and now I want to look into installing it. So my question is pretty simple, what will I need to do to install it?

I'm assuming I'll have to take my hitch off, but do I need to take the plastic tank cover off...or do I keep it on and put the skid over it? Do I put the tank straps over the skid, or just bolt it in? Also, will the tank need a jack under it if I take the straps off?

:dunno:
For the record it's an '89 XJ limited.

Any productive help is welcomed!

leave the straps on, take the plastic cover off, or just trim it a bit.

put a jack under the skid to help steady it and make your job easier.

IIRC, my stock cover is still on. Just remove the hitch bolts, remove hitch, slide the skid into place, replace hitch, and retighten bolts. It helps to have a friend assist though. (it saves some really awkward positions)

John

Well since the straps for the gas tank are around the plastic...that will pretty much be impossible to take off easily, ehh?

What should I use to trim the plastic covering?

I would think about using a box cutter for cutting. Put the metal skid over the plastic skid and line the holes up to see where you need to trim. Mine went over the hitch and the plastic skid with no trimming on my 92. I used the factory nut-strip that is in the frame rails to attach everything to the sub-frame. Mine didn't have the nut-strip when I started, so I picked a set up from the junkyard for less than 5 bucks.

The gas tank skid goes on top (or under) depending on how you look at it. But I left the hitch on with a bolt or two and installed the skid over the hitch. Or am I just loosing my memory?

Mine went right over the plastic bullspit thingy, but I did have to slot a couple of holes in the skid to match up with the existing holes in the sub-frame. IIRC, the two small ones close together for the bolt heads that you don't pick up had to be slotted a lot, and then the fwd most hole on each side that you do pick up had to be slotted a little. It took a bit of wrasslin' and finanglin' to get that sucker lined up and bolted in, so be patient with it and persevere.

Just did this on my 94 with no skids or factory hitch. Go get the nut strips or (hitch reinforcement strips) My dealer had no idea what I was talking about. They ran me $70 for the pair new. I have a used set I also picked up for my 96. They use metric bolts. The skid goes on then the hitch so you do not lose gound clearance from the hitch hanging down. The nut strips use metric bolts and if you need the part number I'll post it later.

Trim the excess plastic around the side of the gas tank. The skid should be able to slide in place then. I have an OEM skid and did not have to touch the tank. However, the plastic made contact with inside the skid. A metal shears did the job for me.

What's with that stupid plastic "skid" anyways? Is it supposed to reduce friction so that you will slide off of rocks? I can't think of any other purpose, except to hide dents in the actual tank when you come down hard on a rock and the tank bends, but the plastic snaps back into place.

When thesethe plastic stone shield is 3/4 of an inch wider than the inside of the factory skid! get rid of it. they are deleted if the skid is factory installed. a simple trick is to support the gas tank with a ratchet strap or a piece of clothes line attached to the leaf springs untill you get the the skid plate in place ,then pull the line out before you flush it up. use a floor jack & a block of wood. the hitch goes on after the the the straps are tight. make sure the holes for the hitch are exposed before you tighten the straps. usually the passenger side strap bolt breaks off because it siezes from the exhaust heat. sometimes, but not usually, you'll have to unbolt the exhaust hanger. [since you have a hitch it should already be loose in your case] when these skid plates are factory installed without a tow package they are held in by the gas tank straps, they are not bolted in. Muddy Beast, if you have a problem pm me & I'll give you a call, I just live up on Whidbey Island.

Last edited:
the plastic stone shield is 3/4 of an inch wider than the inside of the factory skid! get rid of it. they are deleted if the skid is factory installed. a simple trick is to support the gas tank with a ratchet strap or a piece of clothes line attached to the leaf springs untill you get the the skid plate in place ,then pull the line out before you flush it up. use a floor jack & a block of wood. the hitch goes on after the the the straps are tight. make sure the holes for the hitch are exposed before you tighten the straps. usually the passenger side strap bolt breaks off because it siezes from the exhaust heat. sometimes, but not usually, you'll have to unbolt the exhaust hanger. [since you have a hitch it should already be loose in your case]

the plastic stone shield is 3/4 of an inch wider than the inside of the factory skid! get rid of it. they are deleted if the skid is factory installed. a simple trick is to support the gas tank with a ratchet strap or a piece of clothes line attached to the leaf springs untill you get the the skid plate in place ,then pull the line out before you flush it up. use a floor jack & a block of wood. the hitch goes on after the the the straps are tight. make sure the holes for the hitch are exposed before you tighten the straps. usually the passenger side strap bolt breaks off because it siezes from the exhaust heat. sometimes, but not usually, you'll have to unbolt the exhaust hanger. [since you have a hitch it should already be loose in your case]

^Tripple post...

haha.
But I'll let it slide since you live by me. (I can pretty much see the ferry from my house to whidbey)

Muddy Beast said:
^Tripple post...

haha.
But I'll let it slide since you live by me. (I can pretty much see the ferry from my house to whidbey)
I think I must need to trade Jeep lessons for computer lessons! how did my apology get betwwen posts 2 & 3? Anyhow, I've done a bunch of these oem skid plates so I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve.:dunce:

Back