• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was doing some offroading and...

ktwalker01

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know what im getting myself into with this one financially.. I was offroading july 4th and some how an innertube with a rope on it wrapped around my driveshaft and I didnt realize it until to late. the rope managed to get wrapped up where the driveshaft and diff meet up. The damage report.. I have a nasty oil leak comming out off where the diff and driveshaft connect. What seal is there that could have broken and if so what would those parts be called. It is a 99 ax15 4x4 4.0L 4dr Sport thanks for your time.

ya it retains the oil in the diff. The rubber part of the seal probably ripped or has a slash in it from the rope. Its an easy and inexspensive repair. It can be done in the driveway no problem. Ant auto parts store should have the seal(pinion seal)

The only trouble is getting the pinion nut off the yoke it's under 250f/lbs.
I recently did this on my D44.
Just remember to matchmark the D/S, the pinion nut, and yoke orientation.
Be careful not to over torque you may have a crush washer for pre-load, over crush and you'll have to disassemble to replace crushed washer.
Pretty easy overall.

Hopefully there were no kids attached to the rope and tube, next time stay away from the water line on the beach... :D :D :D :D

RichP said:
Hopefully there were no kids attached to the rope and tube, next time stay away from the water line on the beach... :D :D :D :D

"Was doing some offroading and... I got a kid caught in my wheel well, how do I get it out?"

winkosmosis said:
"Was doing some offroading and... I got a kid caught in my wheel well, how do I get it out?"

removal is opposite installation...

yeah... it was a mess now I have to deal with parents and lawyers... Lol actually I was on a ranch in wyoming.. I'm at a loss as to where the raft came from..

I got the new seal this evening from NAPA I have the 8.25 rear end, anyone know what size socket I will need to get the yoke off.. Sorry I dont have a manual :( Also any pointers with the removing it from the 8.25 (thanks for telling me to make sure i match up the yoke position and ds position that will save me a huge headache)

I have a general Idea on what im doing but im from orlando as you see and im out in jackson wyoming all summer and mistakes can grow very expensive if you understand what I mean haha..

Last edited:
Re-using the "crush sleeve" is not recommended. Pinion bearing preload is very important, and easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing, especially if you're using a previously crushed "crush sleeve". I've read accounts of people re-using the old crush sleeve, and in theory, it sounds doable--if you have general experience setting pinion bearing preload during diff re-builds.
Personally, I'd buy a new crush sleeve, and re-set the preload. At the very minimum, I would check the current preload before, and after reassembly.
Here's a write-up on installing new gears in an 8.25. You should understand what's going on, in general, and read carefully the steps regarding pinion preload adjustment. And, you should use a new pinion nut.
If you have the tools to do it right, and the time, I'd say go for it.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8170&sid=3952ea190959f1a13b9ca48330e3c63b

This nut is completely impossible to get out I went out n baught the socket this morning thats why i asked sorry like i said im out of town and I cant just buy a whole kit. I have all the right tools I cannot get this thing to budge i have been fighitng it for over an hour ive pb blasted it and everything no luck... any input tips.. Is this thing even lefty loosey righty tighty??

hahaha never mind i used my brain and i used the bottle jack as some leverage on the rachet and broke it loose.. thanks everyone ill let you know if the repair was succesful

Leverage, my friend, leverage, and lots of it. Even with a 3 ft bar you may need to apply over 70 lbs. to get it to turn.

Before removing nut:
1. Measure bearing pre-load (I also counted threads and noted nut position)
2. Fight nut off (Can be a pain)
3. Remove Yoke (Also, can be a pain)
4. R&R seal (little gear oil on seal)
5. Replace yoke, washer, and nut (new nut recommended, I used old)
rotate pinion a few times, note pre-load.
6. Tighten nut in small increments until 1/2ft.lb over original pre-load measurement.

Well I'm a little too late, sorry
I wanted to look up my info before I posted to double check
I'll leave it for future searchers.

Last edited:
well outlander your initial diag was correct problem solved and the jeep is back on the road thanks a bucnh guys sorry for sounding so desperate i really have had no time to play with or money

ktwalker01 said:
yeah... it was a mess now I have to deal with parents and lawyers... Lol actually I was on a ranch in wyoming.. I'm at a loss as to where the raft came from..

Maybe it got sucked up by a fire fighting helo and there's some kids in trees around somewhere... :D :D :D :D :D

Back