• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mod questions...

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
ok before ya'll frag me for newbie type questions... i have looked.

i found a 96 2-door xj in a yard. now my questions are.......
1; are the rear leaf springs a direct bolt on to my 89 xj? (or would i be better off doin a whole axle/spring combo swap?)
2; same thing for the steering box/gears? or would i have to swap in the whole mechanism from the box to the fluid box/pully?
remember the "donor" is a 96 & mine is an 89. they changed things in 1990-ish. i'm just not sure what all they did change.

thanks in advance for the helpful info & :cheers: :cheers:

the leaves should bolt in but the power steering pump is a different story.The intake manifold mounting points are different.Steering box should bolt in also.....

outlander said:
the leaves should bolt in but the power steering pump is a different story.The intake manifold mounting points are different.Steering box should bolt in also.....

kewl thanks. just wasn't sure if the ps pump was a direct bolt on or if that was one of the many different changes. the 96 has a 4.0 i-6 too though. why would they bother changing that set up if it worked good? i know, THAT was a stupid question :doh: .
never mind, just one more thing i DONT have to swap out ..........yet.

was wondering about the axles cuz i'm gonna need a drum & lugs for the d-35 on mine now. (long story short, the spare i have on it now dont fit right, lets the drum rattle around).
thought leave the axle on the springs & swap it all out in one job.
good or bad idea? (if the price is right that is)

If the 96' rear axle is an 8.25 you might as well keep it and just swap the springs if the 89 is lifted.

:cheers: If it's a d35 the 96 is a C-clip type, the 89 isn't. Don't forget about ratios, If the 96 has better gears with the 8.25 rear end it would be a good upgrade. the 30 is still an hp & has the improved hub bearing design & possibly the 297X u-joints.

cherokee chuck said:
the 30 is still an hp & has the improved hub bearing design & possibly the 297X u-joints.

No possibly about it, unless retrofitted. 297/760 joints started getting put in all front ends in 95. :) Grab the entire axle, as the brakes and everything underneath them are different (better) than the 89 (as mentioned). May as well grab the brake booster and master cylinder, too, along with related parts. ;)

ok my 89 has the d-35 rear in it, my front end is a d-30. didn't have the chance to check out what the 96 has.
my 89 is not lifted (yet) & the "helper" spring is junk (as the u-bolts aren't tight & can't be any tighter)
at this point i have no idea what the ratios in the 96 are, hell i haven't bothered checkin what mine are yet either, lol. (ok so i admit that i can be lazy at times :shhh: )
at this time i'll only be able to (if i can get it for "dirt" cheap) swap out the rear axle & springs. in the future i may be able to do the front axles too.:dunno:
other wise it'll just have to be the rear springs for now. (might even snag the rear shocks while im under there)

Back