• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shims help!

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I am getting some vibs from my 97 XJ with the RE 3.5 superflex kit and 31s and I was wondering which degree axle shims I should buy for the rear diff?

There is only one honest answer to that question, and it is that you will have to measure the DS angles and select a shim. to meet your specific lift.

You may also try out the idea of using a Rustys Drop cross member (no loss of ground clearance), or installing a TC drop kit (loss of ground clearance). Again, if lowering the output shaft angle works out better, this is an option.

I already have a 1" TC drop and have been fine for a while but its been lifted for 5 years now same amount of lift and it recently has developed some vibs that I am atrributing to drive line since I am not finding anything else that may cause the vibs figure it couldnt hurt to put them on even if its not the problem. I was just wondering what the common degree is for my year adn my amount of lift.

Ben824 said:
I already have a 1" TC drop and have been fine for a while but its been lifted for 5 years now same amount of lift and it recently has developed some vibs that I am atrributing to drive line since I am not finding anything else that may cause the vibs figure it couldnt hurt to put them on even if its not the problem. I was just wondering what the common degree is for my year adn my amount of lift.

I would look real hard at trans mount and u joints.. 5 yrs, now it has a vib!!!!

well i looked the motor mounts over and they apeared fine drivers side was replaced over a year ago and the passenger one is still a ok and i looked at the trans mount and it appeared ok no tears or dry rot noticed.

if you suddenly have vibes then its prob not the pinion angle suddenly changing. its probably somthing like: tranny mounts. rear ds u joints. front ds u joints. leaf bushings. control arm bushings. check all tre's. check track bar. check toe in and any other alignment specs. maybe one of the wheels is outta balance. maybe the rear output shaft on the tcase is bent. wheel bearings. brakes. if it happened all of a sudden start with rear shaft u joints and go from there.

on my xj, i started having the "butt wiggles" all of a sudden. Turned out to be the front ds u-joint. Swaped out all of the joints with new ones ( they were all old so might as well do it all at once right??? ) and no more vibs. I just dont see the axle in need of shimming after 5 yrs. of running fine.

thanks for all the suggestions guys ill inspect everything and see what i can find. i did have the rear driveshaft u-joints replaced a couple of years ago but the dumbass shop replaced them with some shoty jap u-joints instead of dana spicer so i wouldnt be surprised if its them. the trac bar and lower control arms are JKS units hardly even 2 years old so i think they r gonna be fine and the leafs are RE 3.5" less than a year old.

chock the wheels. put er in nuetral and see if there is play in the rear shft u joints. if you pull it and take it to a driveline shop they usually only charge 20$ per joint and thats including install. and i always make sure they use spicer. ive been chasing down vibes myself. everything went from fine to vibes on the same setup. ive since done the motor mounts, tranny mount, rear ds u joints, swapped in a d44, new control arm bushings, new tires, new tre's, a hackntap sye with a lengthened front shaft, rebalanced the tires again, pulled front shaft, new wheel bearings and front brakes, a bunch of other stuff and still have slight vibes over 65mph...

Back