• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Duty Steering System

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
After spending the weekend at Rim Rock WA I need to replace the drag link, tie rod, and pitman arm in my Cherokee. What steering system does everyone recommend and is there any way I could flip my tie rod up in order to keep it from smacking into things.

Currie sells a "Heavy Duty tie rod system" that includes a drag link and tie rod as well as all the ends. They claim it is 200% stronger then OEM, but it wouldn't flip my tie rod. What does everyone recommend?

Note: I'm running the stock HP D30 and currently have about 5 inches of lift.

running OTK (over teh knuckle) on the d30 requires you to move some stuff, like the sway bar mount axle-side... cut some of the coil bucket out... etc....
it can be done, but not bolt in.

the currie setup is apparently not the best... it is bolt-on... BUT jcr makes a 1ton tie rod setup... http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S6
which is more in favor, but uses larger tie rods (good) but requiers reaming-out knuckles and pitman arms accurately. I have neither, but will go jcr when i find $320 in the couch cushions.

from jcr's website for use with their OTK kit...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In order to install this kit OTK on coil sprung front Jeeps you MUST:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remove sway bar end link mounts[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (axle side.) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cut/Remove Factory Steering Stabilizer mount[/FONT].
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trim the front of the Coil Buckets[/FONT].
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drill and Ream the Knuckles from the top[/FONT].
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjust the steering stops[/FONT].
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We also RECOMMEND:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That you replace/relocate your sway bar endlinks mounts (axle side.)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That you brace the inside front of your coil buckets.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depending on what frameside trackbar bracket your running, you may want to relocate the axle side trackbar bracket above the axle. It's just a matter of matching the angle of the trackbar and draglink. [/FONT]

xcm said:
running OTK (over teh knuckle) on the d30 requires you to move some stuff, like the sway bar mount axle-side... cut some of the coil bucket out... etc....
it can be done, but not bolt in.

the currie setup is apparently not the best... it is bolt-on... BUT jcr makes a 1ton tie rod setup... http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S6
which is more in favor, but uses larger tie rods (good) but requiers reaming-out knuckles and pitman arms accurately. I have neither, but will go jcr when i find $320 in the couch cushions.

Those look pretty nice! As far as the required modifications go I don’t run with sway bars anyways, so cutting the mounts off is no big deal, neither is reaming the knuckles. I’ll have to take a look at the coil buckets, but don’t imagine that being too big a concern. It sure would be nice to run with 1 ton gear.

Fifi, call up John at ACRO and order up his 1 ton steering system, alot of the NW guys run it and I dont think there have been many problems with it.

-Alex

FiFo said:
After spending the weekend at Rim Rock WA I need to replace the drag link, tie rod, and pitman arm in my Cherokee. What steering system does everyone recommend and is there any way I could flip my tie rod up in order to keep it from smacking into things.

Currie sells a "Heavy Duty tie rod system" that includes a drag link and tie rod as well as all the ends. They claim it is 200% stronger then OEM, but it wouldn't flip my tie rod. What does everyone recommend?

Note: I'm running the stock HP D30 and currently have about 5 inches of lift.

another thing about currie is its not cross over steering either...

emr1101 said:
another thing about currie is its not cross over steering either...

I just started my search there because there "a name brand" I was hoping you guys would be able to point me to a better option.

The ACRO and the JCR are essentially the same setup. They're both using off the shelf Chevy 1 ton ends and just threading some DOM for it. I got lazy and did the JCR UTK vs the hassle of going OTK. If you do go OTK, you'll also need to raise the trackbar axle mount to avoid any bumpsteer and keep the drag link in the same plane as the trackbar. Either would be a good setup, and if the other guy is local, you can get support. :) Oh, I had the full weight of the jeep on the JCR tie rod it bowed it slightly, but it held. A stock Tie Rod would've been toast.

I went with the bulletproof setup. It required a great deal of fab work due to hitting stuff on the front axle but they make one that is bent at the ends to clear the sway bar mounts and spring buckets. This setup is expensive but , well , bulletproof.

jeeperjohn said:
I went with the bulletproof setup. It required a great deal of fab work due to hitting stuff on the front axle but they make one that is bent at the ends to clear the sway bar mounts and spring buckets. This setup is expensive but , well , bulletproof.

Do you have a link? I tried www.bulletproofmfg.com but just got an error message.

I have the currie setup and I love it. Yes it is a stock replacement but the tie rod ends are beefier than stock. Just take off the old stuff and put the new stuff on. If you want you can get the goferit tie rod flip and you will be fine. Its got the same size tubes as jcr you don't have to ream kuckles and its less prone to tie rod roll

Ba-Riedo said:
Fifi, call up John at ACRO and order up his 1 ton steering system, alot of the NW guys run it and I dont think there have been many problems with it.

-Alex

WHO(ARCO)? Link please!!

ColoradoRaptor said:
WHO(ARCO)? Link please!!

Auburn Car Repair and Offroad: (253) 939-5019

Ask for John (Matthews)

I bought his system, I have been very happy with it. Way beefier than the stock spaghetti noodles, I've smacked the tie rod hard on trail stumps and rocks a couple of times, no bending or loose/broken rod ends. You'll need to have your steering knuckles and pittman arm taper reamed oversize to accept the new stuff, but John does this too, you bring in the knuckles/axle housing and pittman.

If you're out of state, you could order the rods/links and have someone local do the reaming. I'd recommend the system, very strong, price is right at around $300.

Thanks for the response! I will check'em out!:cheers:

Back