• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 im an idiot question

Bensride

NAXJA Forum User

Hey folks pulled a real smooth one here. I have a 90 Limited with the 242. I yanked my t-case about 6 weeks ago to replace the chain and output bearings. Upon reinstalling it I noticed a small extra feature I dont remember noticing before.

T-case has a smooth hole looks clean / machined (but no threads!!) that looks like it goes to the inside of the case. (pretty sure it does by edge of cam)

Location: when looking at the drivers side, next to the shift shaft (where the linkage attaches) towards the transmission by about 2 inches and a little bit up from the shift shaft.

Question:
What the hell goes in there? I dont have any known lol extra parts.. Is it a plug? steel ball type or rubber? something big im missing? When I had it apart I did not disassemble any of the shift shaft / cam assembly (from the inside) so.. AARRRGGG Please help gotta get this thing driving asap! thanks in advance!

Bensride said:

Hey folks pulled a real smooth one here. I have a 90 Limited with the 242. I yanked my t-case about 6 weeks ago to replace the chain and output bearings. Upon reinstalling it I noticed a small extra feature I dont remember noticing before.

T-case has a smooth hole looks clean / machined (but no threads!!) that looks like it goes to the inside of the case. (pretty sure it does by edge of cam)

Location: when looking at the drivers side, next to the shift shaft (where the linkage attaches) towards the transmission by about 2 inches and a little bit up from the shift shaft.

Question:
What the hell goes in there? I dont have any known lol extra parts.. Is it a plug? steel ball type or rubber? something big im missing? When I had it apart I did not disassemble any of the shift shaft / cam assembly (from the inside) so.. AARRRGGG Please help gotta get this thing driving asap! thanks in advance!

I think you are talking about the vent tube pipe hole.
Look above the driver's side of the TC you should see a rubber hose with a tube, if that's what is missing try forcing it in the hole with a little locktite.
Just forward of the shifter there is a hole with a plug, I think the hole is threaded. If that's the problem, just find a plug that will fit.
The only other hole I know of in that area is the hole for the switch.

Ok, The vent tube and hose is much higher and farther forward.
Mine has a totally smooth 3/8 inch hole. And it does go right into the case. The shift sensor is on the back cover (unlike a 231?)
I am thinking it had a factory plug that I must have knocked out when scrapping all the crap off in my gravel driveway.
Any other ideas? TIA

Back