• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose shifter (T-handle)

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ AW4, and my problem is that the shifter inside is loose, I can twist it from side to side. Is there a way to tighten it up, or do I have to replace something? It functions properly other than that.

The shifter is separate from the transmission, as that is cable-selected. The t-handle itself is loose? Pull it off, and add another from an XJ or upgrade to a ZJ handle.

If the post itself is loose, you probably need to replace the shifter assembly, depending on the source of that looseness. Time to pop the cnter console off and inspect things in that case.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I upgraded to a ZJ handle and it's never set right. My plan is to get one of the teensy weensy torx pins from the side mirrors, drill a hole in the handle and stick, and drive the torx pin through. That might work for you too.

Yucca-Man said:
The shifter is separate from the transmission, as that is cable-selected. The t-handle itself is loose? Pull it off, and add another from an XJ or upgrade to a ZJ handle.

If the post itself is loose, you probably need to replace the shifter assembly, depending on the source of that looseness. Time to pop the cnter console off and inspect things in that case.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
The stick is fine, it's just the T-handle itself. How do I pull it off? I don't want to screw it up.

88 Wagonman said:
The stick is fine, it's just the T-handle itself. How do I pull it off? I don't want to screw it up.

To pull the T-handle itself, you just pull straight up!!! Sometimes it helps to put in in some other gear then park........then the angle is better to pull up!!

Thanks for the help, it came up fairly easily, but that's probably because it was loose already. The white plastic piece in the handle is worn out, time for the JY!

Back