• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bronco Axles

ebjones7

NAXJA Forum User
I know a guy that is willing to sell a 79' Bronco. I am not sure on the year but that is what I think. It is a 4 wheel drive and the guy is getting rid of it really cheap. Would this be something worth buy just for the axles so I could build them up and use or end of selling them if I need to. I have no idea what axles would be under it. If anyone has any information on the possibilities that I would have from buying this Bronco.

Thanks A lot

IM pretty sure that the rear end is a 9". Not sure if the front end is a TTB or a HP44.

I know that the '78-'79 front HP44 axles have cast wedges on them, inside of which there is no axle tube. Therefore, it is not a good axle to narrow to Jeep width as you really can't. Fine if you want to run it full width with the Ford radius arms.

yep. thats the same front axle that i run. High Pinion Dana 44 with radius arm suspension. Full width of course... and you will have to make some spring mounts that go over the radius arms because the spring placement is off if you use the factory ford coil mounts. No big deal tho...

some early Broncos used a kingpin D30, so I'd check first

You can narrow the '78/79 D44, but it's harder to do at home than the '76/77 axle. Cost to have it done by a shop is probably the same, however.
Finding a reasonably priced '76/77 axle arround Southern Cal is difficult. You don't want to spend a lot of money on an axle that you will probably completely strip, and rebuild with all new "stuff".
Adapting a full-width '79 axle to fit under an XJ, using radius arms, is not nearly as difficult of narrowing the axle, and adding XJ compatible 4-link bracketry.

Back