• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Wont Shift into 4th Gear / OD

cujeepn

NAXJA Forum User
A little history... Jeep has about 120k and about 2 weeks ago the radiotor cracked and i replaced it. Ever since the jeep does not shift the way it used to. In addition the oil pressure gauge and engine temperature gauge are acting up. Could this all be from teh excessive heat it experienced? i just replaced the TPS sensor and plan on taking it for a test drive later.

Any thoughts?

How are the op and temp gauges acting up? Did the engine over heat when the radiator cracked? Replacing the TPS was a good idea. Coolant may have gotten in it which could explain your trans issues. Just make sure to accurately set the TPS and then disconnect the battery for at least a half hour, hook it back up and then take it out for a drive to let the TCU reset learn the new signals from the new TPS. Check all of your grounds also.

Took it for 25 mile drive and no change. Perhaps i am overanalyzing... what is the typical RPM for Cherokee doing 65mph. Mine is around 2500 but it seems like it is not getting into that last gear.

cujeepn said:
It is a '96. How long of a test drive? ALso - how do you set the TPS?

Quite sure the TPS is not adjustable on 92+. My 89 AW4 4.0 231 is spinning at 2200RPM at 65 iirc-I just moved to boston and theres rarely an opportunity to get it that quick.

Get it up to speed and cruise, then with gas and speed steady use your left foot to tap on the brake. Observe tachometer-should shoot up about 100-200 RPMS as the torque converter unlocks.

cujeepn said:
i have done this and the RPM's dont drop. Gas mileage is lousy. help please
No, when you tap the brake pedel lightly while at cruising speed, your RPMs should rise about 200 to 300 RPMs as the torque converter unlocks. Keep your right foot steady on the gas when you push the brake slightly with your left foot.

Back