• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fogs on With High Beams?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have found the writeups to make it so your fogs run when the highs and the lows are on. Is there a quick way to jumper things so the fogs will only work with the high beams on?

Reason being, Im using the factory wiring to run a set of bumper mounted hellas that I want to run alongside my high beams, but cut off when I hit lowbeams for oncoming traffic. Long deserted (mostly) backroads with too many deer :rof:

I had the same problem & finally said the hell with it & put fog lights back on & used the Hella loom that came with them. the fog light relay doesn't like the 100 watt bulbs I put in my my Hellas . I wired them so I can use them with the key off ,which works a lot better for me. how did you jump yours so they worked with the hi & low beams? sorry to answer your question with a question, but I knew there had to be a simple way to do this.

98XJSport said:
I have found the writeups to make it so your fogs run when the highs and the lows are on. Is there a quick way to jumper things so the fogs will only work with the high beams on?

Reason being, Im using the factory wiring to run a set of bumper mounted hellas that I want to run alongside my high beams, but cut off when I hit lowbeams for oncoming traffic. Long deserted (mostly) backroads with too many deer :rof:

Hey where is that write up? I'd like to fix mine to stay on.

It would be nice to use my offroad lamps when I want, so far I can only run them with my low beams, It would be really nice to use them with my headlamps off or the truck off. I wired in a relay to run the lamps and use the stock fog lamp wire as a signal wire. I didn't trust the stock switch and wiring to that much power

I rewired my son's Jeep so that the fogs (actually 100w driving lights) only come one with the high beams if the fog lamp switch is on. What I did was to make 4 short (2") wires with a male and female connector at each end that match the size on the fog lamp relay. Unplug the relay and install the 4 jumpers into the 4 sockets in the base. Hook the other ends to the relay exactly as they would be connected if the relay was plugged in except for the one that goes to the "87" terminal - hook it to the "87a" terminal. The relay will be a little loose in the fuse box, but the cover holds it in OK.

Durango-Bob said:
I rewired my son's Jeep so that the fogs (actually 100w driving lights) only come one with the high beams if the fog lamp switch is on. What I did was to make 4 short (2") wires with a male and female connector at each end that match the size on the fog lamp relay. Unplug the relay and install the 4 jumpers into the 4 sockets in the base. Hook the other ends to the relay exactly as they would be connected if the relay was plugged in except for the one that goes to the "87" terminal - hook it to the "87a" terminal. The relay will be a little loose in the fuse box, but the cover holds it in OK.

Ill have to dig in to see how this will work.

Basically I need to take the signal from the low beams that activate the first relay and replace it with the +12V from the high beams. That way, when the for light switch is on, the hella's will work on high beams, but turn off for low beams.

The factory switch will not hold the load, that much I know. However, I already have the lights wired in on a seperate switch that always works. The switch triggers a seperate relay, which works fine. I want to add a secondary trigger to the relay, coming from the factory fog light wire harness.

Writeup on making your fogs work all the time is here:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941758&highlight=hella+500

Note may be illegal in some areas :rolleyes:

98XJSport said:
The factory switch will not hold the load, that much I know.

As described, the factory switch only has the load of the relay coil on it. But even then they are not that robust and I have seen many melted switches.

I have found switches to last longer if you take out the on/off indicator bulb...

Note that switching the terminals works, using the relay as a NC instead of a NO. I opened up the box and moved which pin the factory connector went to, instead of using a bunch of jumpers. Same thing achieved in the end. NOTE: With the fog light switch on and the headlights off, the relay gets energized still!

Back