• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 slow leak

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
jeep_tcase1.jpg

Slow leak from my NP242 transfer case.

I have replaced the output seal (the one that the rear driveshaft goes into).

Does anyone know the part number for the front seal?

Front driveshaft and where the NP connects to the AW4?

I've looked online and all I can find is the rear seal. Of course there is a master overhaul kit for the NP242, but I thought I'd go cheap.

Last edited:
gerroffroad.com said:
J5359457 is input
4762899 is front drive shaft output

link to page part numbers and diagram are located
http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/transfer_case/np_242.html

let me know if you have more questions

I see the J5359457, but I cannot find the 4762899 on that page. When I search Crown for 4762899 it shows up for the NP228, NP229, NP218 and NP208, but not the NP242.

I'm pretty sure it is #37 on the diagram but there isn't a 37 listed in the table below.

lol, I didn't know that crown was a gerroffroad website. Maybe I should just shutup and order the part you told me. :doh:

Last edited:
Mudderoy said:
I see the J5359457, but I cannot find the 4762899 on that page. When I search Crown for 4762899 it shows up for the NP228, NP229, NP218 and NP208, but not the NP242.

I'm pretty sure it is #37 on the diagram but there isn't a 37 listed in the table below.

lol, I didn't know that crown was a gerroffroad website. Maybe I should just shutup and order the part you told me. :doh:

Crown is actually 2 web sites one for vendors (me)one for customers(you) they are a little different mine shows #37 as well as a a few other things not on the customer page. but that is the right number it is the same seal used on a few other applications.

MAY POP said:
Be happy with the leak. It will coat the bottom of your Jeep with ATF helping to stop the rusting of your bottom. It will save you money in the long run.

lol, yes and I hear it is good for old age spots too!

Ok a few days before we are supposed to go camping the Jeep starts blowing smoke on the way home today. It seems fine at 65 or 70 mph, but 80/85 fluid is hitting the exhaust and a nice blue haze in the back window.

After I exited the highway I was getting a little bit of smoke coming just under where I sit, after about 2 minutes of driving 30/40 mph it was all gone.

I checked the engine oil, transmission fluid, and transfer case. Everything was fine, except the tcase fluid was a little low.

jeep_tcase3.jpg

I cannot get a front tcase seal until next week, so the camping is canceled.

The only place I could find lots of oil was on the front of the transfer case, but I don't see any on the spinner. I thought I'd put this picture up to see if anyone had a front seal go out and if this is how it looked to you.

All I am planning on doing is replacing this seal. Is there anything else I should be concerned about checking?

jeep_tcase4.jpg

As you can see the back of the tcase is pretty clean.

jeep_tcase5.jpg

It looks like some of the fluid is creaping back in this image, but you can see that the rear seal (which I replace a couple of months ago) looks good.

Last edited:
Blackburn said:
plenty of the red silicone :roflmao:

Wait a minute. You see the pictures right? You see where I sealed the case with red RTV. Does it look like I am timid about using the RTV?!?!?! lol

So did you ever figure out what the culprit was? Mine did the same thing the other week and coated the front side of my Tcase as well as my rear axle and undercarriage! havent cleaned it up to poke around and find out whats wrong yet

Well I found what looks to be a engine rear main seal leak. Now I'm thinking that it may be the motor oil dripping and being blown back onto the front of the transfer case.

I'm still investigating...

Back