• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sealing transfer case problem. . . .

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
Within the last month i have had to have my transfer case resealed twice because it was leaking. The first time the black RTV/ATF sealant was supposedly used. About 48 hours later it started leakin again. I took it into a different place the second time and they used a red anorobic sealant because they thought it was more compatable with the aluminum construction of the case. Now its leakin again, but this time its dumpin. My first question is whether the anorobic sealant should have been given time to cure; when i got it home after they finished it the sealant was still wet? My second questin is, are these guys just retarted and dont know how to seal this shit or could there be some under lying problem with the case? My final question is whether the seal may have been effected by me driving my xj between Flagstaff, Az and Phoenix, AZ (a drive which includes and elevation gain of about 6000 ft in about 120 miles) about 24 hours after haveing the case resealed both times?

Check the vent on the t-case. If it is plugged, as the fluid heats up it will create pressure inside the case and blow out the weakest point in the seal. Oh, and definately let the sealant thoroughly cure before operating. Even a small amount of internal pressure increase inside the case could push out uncured sealant.

One of the matting surfaces could be warped or dinged.

A warped case will never seal right it really is one of those you don't know till you try type of things but I have used cork gasket material to form a gasket on the 231 I use to have and it slowed the leak down to a point where it was livable for a while till I got another t-case. It is a easy job to do but I would also look for the breather being plugged and seal conditions on the rest of the case. I have seen bearings start to go bad causing a lot of issues with extra heat and it basically boiled the ATF in the case so it came out and made a big mess

Back