• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio not working, and other electrical issues.

StratoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

And happy 4th of July!

Newbie here with some electrical problems. I have a '96Xj Sport that came with a factory installed Panasonic radio/cd player, I swaped it with a new sony xplod. It worked for 15 min, it won't turn on at all. Fuses are ok, I have 12v contant from the pink wire, 12v from purple/white wire, checked continuity of the black wire (ground)to chassis, and they're ok.

Now this is where it gets strange, when I start the Cherokee and while the engine is running the voltages from the pink and purple/white wires drop to zero.:confused:

Can anybody please help me on this? Thanks.
Mike

When you refer to the pink wire and the purple and white wires are you refering to the vehicle harness or the stereo harness? The colors don't always match between the two.

StratoXJ said:
Hello everyone,

And happy 4th of July!

Newbie here with some electrical problems. I have a '96Xj Sport that came with a factory installed Panasonic radio/cd player, I swaped it with a new sony xplod. It worked for 15 min, it won't turn on at all. Fuses are ok, I have 12v contant from the pink wire, 12v from purple/white wire, checked continuity of the black wire (ground)to chassis, and they're ok.

Now this is where it gets strange, when I start the Cherokee and while the engine is running the voltages from the pink and purple/white wires drop to zero.:confused:

Check to see if the AC Blower, wiper, and turn signals die too.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Somewhat common. I ran a by pass dash switch on mine for that hot wire through the ignition switch, got tired of replacing ignition switches.

Can anybody please help me on this? Thanks.
Mike

You may have the constant power wire and switched power wires connected incorrectly. Also use an ohmmeter and make sure you have the correct wire pairs for the speakers--you should be able to measure speaker resistance. Make sure none of the speakers are connected to frame ground and the radio itself IS frame grounded properly. Good luck and
Happy Fourth of July.:party:

I have installed many after market head units and 100% of the time incountered the same colored wires for constent, switch and ground

Constent is yellow switched is red and ground black you should make sure that the wires come from the head unit are not hooked up to the impropper wires coming from the jeep harness.

And just to check pull the head unit run a temp ground and a temp hot. Using your battery is an easy way. Your battery ground is obviously good. and as long as your XJ starts so is the hot on your battery.

If it does not work check the fuse on the back or inline going into your head unit. If it still does not power up then you have a bad head unit which is not uncommon for sony. (yes even brand new)

Or you can use a 12 volt test light to make sure your leads coming from the fuse box are good.

And on my 92 XJ the constent is coming from the fused marked dome not the one marked radio. beats me but thats the way it is make sure that fuse is good as well.

By the way, if you are using the 96 FSM pinouts, one of them is wrong. I can't remember which one or which wires, but my son very carefully installed his aftermarket radio using the FSM to assemble an adapter harness, and I double checked it, and it was just plain wrong! Use a voltmeter or a test light to make sure you have the right ones.

I can't now remember either whether the 96 has the same arrangements as earlier ones, but the 95 and earlier ones all take their clock/memory from the same fuse as the dome lights.

btam13 said:
When you refer to the pink wire and the purple and white wires are you refering to the vehicle harness or the stereo harness? The colors don't always match between the two.

I'm refering to the vehicle harness, which is missing. The old stereo was spliced into the Cherokee's wiring, there was no harness, the pink, purple/white and black wires along with the speaker wires were comming from a bundle of wires at the back of the dash.

The Sony Xplod has a harness, I spliced the stereo's yellow to pink(constant),red to purple/white (switched), and black to chassis ground.

Mike

btam13 said:
Did you figure it out?

Yes, I did. After I taking apart some of the dashboard I found that the cigarette lighter wire was frayed and touching ground, which happens to be purple/white (switched).

Mike:eeks1:

Back