• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering isue

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I can't seem to find a thread that helps me ...so mabee one of you can?
Well the problem is .... when I turn a sharp corner it feels like the steering wheel is pulsing. The rig is a 93 xj country and is stock. I've checked the u-jounts on the axle ends, the fluid is correct and all the conections seem fine. If you can help me that would be great thanks

u-joint fluid is the usual suspect in this situation. But since you've checked that.

no obvious uneven wear on the tires?
steering box bolted tight to the unibody rail? No obvious cracks around where the box mounts?
Make sure your lugnuts are all tight.
Axle nut (that holds the axle shafts to the hub) OK? might be under a cap in the center of the wheel.
Jack up one side at a time and grab the tire top and bottom and try to move it, could be ball joints or unit bearing.
Make sure the axle end of the trackbar is tight and make sure the frame end of the trackbar and the bracket are all tight. Look carefully at the frame around the bracket to make sure there isn't a crack that's flexing when you turn.

good luck.

I had a pulsing and even though the fluid looked good the pump was bad. I put a new pump in and it was good for about 4 minutes, then the upper and lower seal blew out of the steering box. old seals could not handle the correct presure once the new pump came up to speed. make sure your belt is tight and not worn or cracking before you go changing parts.

pulsing is definatly pump or box. (presure related) clunking or other sumptoms relate to other repairs but a pulsing (rithmic) is 100% pump or presure related in my experience

This same thing happened to me when my u-joints went bad.
How did you check u-joints?
They may have no play but could be dried out if factory (non-greasable).
Support XJ so all wheels are off the ground put in gear and turn to full lock you may find a wheel intermittantly stopping or slowing. You can even try to turn wheel by hand and feel the binding u-joint.
Good Luck,
Harlee

Back