• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration dampener tsb...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I posted a similar question here a few days ago, another question arose though. I picked up a v/d from the dealer today, a front main seal, and a timing cover gasket kit.

I have a '98 4.0, tsb says oil slinger must now be removed for the new v/d to fit. Never done this jobe before, searches definitely described the v/b change-out, but need to know what to expect, if anything, after the tc cover is off and the slinger gets yanked. Is it just flopping around or do I need a puller of some sort to remove it?

My xj has about 116k on it, trying to do alot of preventive maintenance in anticipation of twenty-hour straight thru trips back and forth form NY to Florida. Just can't afford to fly.

Thanks,

Mike

mikeny59 said:
I posted a similar question here a few days ago, another question arose though. I picked up a v/d from the dealer today, a front main seal, and a timing cover gasket kit.

I have a '98 4.0, tsb says oil slinger must now be removed for the new v/d to fit. Never done this jobe before, searches definitely described the v/b change-out, but need to know what to expect, if anything, after the tc cover is off and the slinger gets yanked. Is it just flopping around or do I need a puller of some sort to remove it?

My xj has about 116k on it, trying to do alot of preventive maintenance in anticipation of twenty-hour straight thru trips back and forth form NY to Florida. Just can't afford to fly.

Thanks,

Mike

It looks from My FSM as if the slinger is little more than a washer behind the damper, and it should come right off.

Thanks Matt!

Just did this today actually, the oil slinger is pretty much just a washer that slips over the crank shaft.

Thanks again...

Mike

Back