• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on a 96 XJ with a 2.5?

BonesBrosChris

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 96 XJ with a 2.5 that kissed a deer for free a while back. What are everyone's thoughts on that motor? I know its a turd in a TJ I was working on last year but it was still rolling stock gears on 33's. I am/was planning to put the 2.5 and all the garbage hooked to it into my '49 Willys Wagon that will remain pretty stock. The L134 that's in the Wagon only pumped out 60hp when new and it's pretty miserable to drive now that it's 59 years old.
I know the 4.0 is a better option and I would go that route if the Wagon was more beat or hacked but its in pretty nice shape and I don't want to cut up the firewall to fit it.
Thoughts?
-Chris

Cool idea. The 2.5 that year cranked out about 120 hp and about 135 ft-lbs in XJ's which is a higher rating than the TJ spec 2.5. The 2.5 is also a better choice than the 2.8 L. That motor also came stock with 4.56 gears in an XJ... I'm wondering what gears your Willys has?

...I'm also wondering which would be easier: rebuild the L134 or make the 2.5 fit? Interesting choices... Especially if you'd have to rebuild the 2.5 and make it fit. Would you want to swap the tranny, tc, and everything?

If I recall the Willys has 5.38 stock. I think it would nice to drive with a more modern engine with FI. And yes I plan to take everything from the XJ, motor, trans (AX15), NP231, Harness and might even swap the axles. I don't plan on doing any wheeling with it. The motor will fit in there nicely with some new mounts. And the 2.5 was rebuilt about 20k ago.

4.0 AW4s came with 3.54 gears...

My 4.0 Ax-15 came with 3.07s

To the OP, I would say run a 4.0. and use the 2.5 in your Willys my .02

How heavy is the willys? I would imagine that twice the hp would definately make it happy anyways.

and the 2.5 shouldn't come stock with an ax-15, just an ax-5. It's hard to break the ax-5 with the 2.5, but there is still much more security in an ax-15 swap (dakota bellhousing and such).

And to whoever said the TJ spec 2.5 is less than the XJ, you're wrong. You're thinking the YJ 2.5, which had a lower compression ratio than the TJ/XJ 2.5. It all changed in 97 with the OBDII system.

Also, yeah, the 2.5 would be a turd in a TJ with 33's and 4.10's, that's 500+ extra pounds compared to the XJ, plus the extra rolling resistance of the 33's...

Sounds like a perfect swap. If it has air swap that also. That project will make a super fun truck to drive and show. Every where you take it people will ask about it. DO IT! Show lots of pictures.

hey i got 7.5 inches of lift on my 89 comanchee and i was wondering if anyone has done that and knows what to measure the control arms to. if you got any pointeres that would be nice

Right on the tranny..... just use to AX15 junk. Anyhow, the '49 Wagon has a weight of 3205lbs. So without the weight of the L134 stock motor and with the 2.5 swapped in it should be pretty damn close to the weight of an XJ. Actually its very similar in dimensions with the Cherokee. And yep its getting the A/C with it, gotta keep the family happy. I'll snap some shots of it when I get going with it.... pretty soon.

Sorry, but NOOOOOO.
Don't you hack up that sweet ride for a few more HP. 60 HP is all that baby has needed for 59 years. It is all most twise as old as you. You should be calling it SIR and asking permission to set in it. NOT hacking it up. SHAME on you. I say SAME on you sir.
If you put slush box in it I will hate you to the day you die!

Yes, I am old and don't like change.

badron said:
Sorry, but NOOOOOO.
Don't you hack up that sweet ride for a few more HP. 60 HP is all that baby has needed for 59 years. It is all most twise as old as you. You should be calling it SIR and asking permission to set in it. NOT hacking it up. SHAME on you. I say SAME on you sir.

Wow..... First, I have yet to "hack up" any of the Jeeps I've had. Second it hasn't moved under its own power for 20+ years, and third I would rather give it a heart transplant and get it back on the road for people to enjoy than see it turn in to minerals in my backyard. I have a lot of respect for the old iron especially when it comes to Willys/Jeep because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't be on here talking about XJ's all day. It doesn't really have anything to do with the HP of the swap, it's about driveablity. I have a CJ2a thats restored and its a blast to drive, but I damn near get killed everytime I drive it because it just can't keep up in traffic. And lastly that was the reason for choosing the 2.5 over a 4.0, because I didn't want to butcher the firewall............ At least its the same breed of motor and not some POS Chevy SB.
I'm planning on a stock exterior and interior look down to the wheels and WW tires..... so most people won't even know.

Last edited:
badron said:
Sorry, but NOOOOOO.

I'm old too, & I remember what a pos that F-head motor was. Go for the gusto & do the swap BUT 2X on the automatic. 4 cylinders need a clutch. It sounds like a sweet swap, keep us posted & do a good job!:party:

I am using the AX5, and never considered the auto as an option. :)

Sorry I forgot this at the end of my post. :)
Yes, better on the road any day and almost anyway.
I had a 4 to V6 CJ it IS a fine ride.
Need any help I will pay you to let me work on the wagon.

badron said:
Need any help I will pay you to let me work on the wagon.

If your ever in my neck of the woods I have 55 Wagon looking for a good home.....

Back