• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Not Working Right?

BigBlueHO

NAXJA Forum User
I went out to Wally World and baught a Corbra 19 Ultra III I went out and bought a 18' antenna wire. Antenna Bracket. And a 4' antenna. Also a heavy duty spring so I don't break any antenna on a trail. The source I used to power the CB is the same power leads for stereo.

My Room mate has an old 1964 CB in his rig. and I can hear him around the block. But I can talk to him only in a 20' distance. After that he can't hear me. What the hell did I do wrong. :doh: hasta

Re: CB No Working Right?

WheelinJR said:
Have you tested the SWR of the antenna and adjusted it accordingly?

Cruise over to D&R communications on Hwy 212 in Clackamas, he'll take care of you.

I was going to do just that when Im out on the east side. Other than getting my CB tuned. Did I do anything wrong.

WheelinJR said:
Not really, CB's aren't too picky on power source.

Personally I run all radio equipment direct to battery to ensure no interference.
Going to DRC to get it peaked and tuned and to see why I only get 20' off communication.

it should still be better than that. what is your SWR on ch 1-20-40.

I have to go next week and get the antenna tuned because when I went I brought the radio in without the jeep. (gas is expensive) So I will update next week.

BigBlueHO said:
Yep got the radio peaked and tuned. And bought a 5' Tunable Fire Stik. My Range now is about one mile to a mile and a half. Alot better than 20' lol

Your problem right there is the Firestik......... that 5' is gonna really limit your range due to the fact it is really set up for 1k worth of power. If you are looking to get more range and not an antenna that is going to get thrashed on the trail go with a Francis Hot Rod. Only about 20 bucks @ truck stop.

The Firestik had the copper winding on the outside of the fiberglass but only protected from the shrink wrap they use. When beaten across trees and such the shrink wrap will tear and ruin the copper wire.

The Francis Hot Rod has internal (in the fiberglass) copper and is quite a bit smaller in diameter. They have great flex and match up great when used with a 4in spring (factory tuned with 4in spring).

It really does surpise most when swapping from a Firestik to a Francis.

im confused.. Everyone runs Firestik!

Im going with an 8ft fiberglass.. dont know the brand tho.. D & R recommended one.. so im gonna try it.

8 foot fiberglass ,that should last to the second tree limb then it will swing down and smack the body of the xj.

nw-xj-scott said:

Im going with an 8ft fiberglass.. dont know the brand tho.. D & R recommended one.. so im gonna try it.

I use a Wilson. I have used firesticks, fiberglass, and a variety of other on past vehicles and CB systems. I love the Wilson and will be putting another on my tow rig if/when I put a CB in it.

Michael

BigBlueHO said:
I have to go next week and get the antenna tuned because when I went I brought the radio in without the jeep. (gas is expensive) So I will update next week.

I was F'in around on ebay and bought an SWR meter for 15 bucks. If I get it an it works, we could try it out setting up your CB. I am in Beaverton, so it would save a drive.

GlueNTape said:
I was F'in around on ebay and bought an SWR meter for 15 bucks. If I get it an it works, we could try it out setting up your CB. I am in Beaverton, so it would save a drive.
sounds good!:rof:

nw-xj-scott said:

Everyone as in????? LOLZ have fun with that 8 footer......... :looser: better off with a 102" steel whip and a tennis ball :gee:

and get some more batteries cause you mods failing

I have a 4Ft right now, works fine. Im Going to check out the 8ft.
The antennae im talking about runs a Full-wave. so why not see the difference?

Please, If you're going to Try and insult me, do it in a way that makes sense.

i'll never give D&R another dime. I bought a CB from them and they said they would hop it up for an extra $25-30 bucks. They take it in the backroom for about 10 minutes to some mystery person. I get it back and head home only to find out that every piece is still in factory wrapping that can't be taken off without tearing the plastic. I tried to remove the tape and it was a no go without tearing the plastic also.

Back