• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's cold air intake....

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
so i picked up a rusty's cold air intake converion if you will at the local JY thinking..."sweet more power" and "oooo better gas milage"...but is it really gonna increase power and fuel economy? any input would help....:eeks1:

I have the rusty's air tube. I didn't really notice much of a change in anything other than a whistling noise at certain rpms.

Chris

No, you wont feel or see anything in notable.

The stock air box already allows for more airflow then the 4.0 uses anyways.

yjat-1_01.jpg

this is the piece i got......and i also have a cone filter for it too:anon:

swbooking said:

not true i run my AFE and notice quite a bit of difference on throttle response and low and mid range power.

If you already got it run it....

The diference between Chris' and the Rustys is that the AFE system is a kit which is made for an HO, that has a different throttle body, and a "sealed" area which houses the filter, essentially producing a "cold air" intake.

The rustys air tube does not have a "cold air sealed area" your just sukcing in the same or even hotter heat then that of the stock box.

you could build a section thats closed off from the rest of the engine bay and sealed with the hood to make the intake temps a little lower but overall i dont think that the effort is worth the gains, but to each his own i guess.

every cold air intake is different but usually the gain is minimal most ive seen is 15 horses but thats on those lil tuner cars. but with any performance mod it all depends on how you drive. more power makes it wasier to move the vehicle to a certain point... so if you have a light foot and good driving habits it will increase in mpg. its a long term thing with an intake im sure though it cant be to noticable.

vortex said:
also what should i do with all the little vac lines? should i just cap them off with vac caps?

I assume you have a Renix and are refferring to the theromstatic air control thing on the airbox. If I am correct, both ends of the lines attach to the airbox. The only lines you should need to attach to the intake tube are the lines for the CCV and the hose that goes to the charcoal canister.

If you are talking about any other vacuum lines, please post some pics.

ok so i put on the rusty's and the cone filter and tock a spin around the block.....OH MY GOD it breathes so much easier and has much more power......it sounds and runs like a raped ape now......im fully endorsing rusty's offroad now.....i really was sceptical when everyone was like

but it really did make a difference!:thumbup:

Back