• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Champion spark plugs ?

The Jeep 4.0 engine is picky with spark plugs.
To say the least it likes cheap spark plugs and operates better with them from experience, other will probably agree. I have had luck with champion regular plugs, champion truck plugs and standard autolites.

GoodLuck,
Pete

Yeah, in the end you'll mostly end up with people saying they use regular Champion RC12LYC (I believe that's what the sticker on the firewall calls for) or the Champion truck plugs.

The plugs with 4 ground "arms" or whatever you call them don't give you extra "spark" compared to a regular plug due to electricity following the path of least resistance. The only added benefit would be that perhaps they run cooler and last longer due to the fact that the spark is not alwaus using the same ground arm every time it sparks.

Champion plugs are going to work great for you and be cheaper. Chrysler put them in OE and I would say most guys here run them. As for the gap, they should be gapped out of the box but I'd double check them before installing them.

Always, absolutely always re-check the gap on your plugs before installing them. Even when they're brand new, it only takes a minute, and can save hours of troubleshooting.

(makes it nice when you find that one plug that comes out of the box with the electrode crushed, too...)

I liike the Champion copper plugs and they last a long time between changes.

I just replaced the Champions in my '96. I was having a pretty annoying mis-fire kind of issue when at idle and it was particularly bad when the A/C was on at idle. When I removed the old Champions (which I suspect were OE) they were so worn that they had over .055 gap. No wonder I was mis-firing. The cap/rotor were really carbon corroded too.

I replaced the Champions with Autolites only because the auto parts store was out of stock. The Autolites for the most part were already gapped at .035, but one was probably dropped as it was nearly touching the electrode. As already stated, check the gap on all replacement plugs before installing them. And if your engine is gooey from a leaky valve cover gasket, take the time to pressure wash the spark plug galleys before removing the old plugs so that when you install the new ones, you don't drag the end in the goo and fill the gap - which will create a mis-fire.

Odd thing is..... now that the tune up is done, it actually feels like I've lost a bit of power. I'm wondering if changing the gap to .040 would help any. It seemed to have more power with the old plugs - just a mis-fire issue. :dunno:

Back