• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 Coolant Temperature Sensor

cds36

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 auto jeep cheokee and Im trying to find the Coolant Temperature Sensor to replace it. Have done some reading, I see a sensor which I think is the knock sensor on the driverside block right above the oilpan lip, it is connected with a wire wrapped in what looks like some kind of heat shield wrap. Now I have read that there is also one in the t-stat housing and another in the rear of the driverside intake.

Am I correct that the one in the t-stat is for the computer and the one in the intake is for the temp gauge? do any of you have a pic of the Coolant Temperature Sensor?

the temp sensor is in the t-stat housing, for the ECM

the temp sender is in the cyl head, at the rear, driver's side. sends voltage to gauge/or idiot light

My 92 doesnt have temp sensor in the block, the port is plugged.
Only Renix engines have knock sensor in the block

cds36 said:
do any of you have a pic of the Coolant Temperature Sensor?
On a 91 its here..........
1 wire connection.
motor.jpg

The sensor in the t-stat housing is also the electric fan switch on '95 and earlier engines. On OBD II ('96 and newer) the t-stat sensor is the temp sensor for the ECM. More importantly, drifto, why is the windshield washer tank on the left? Kinda' odd......

heyhar said:
The sensor in the t-stat housing is also the electric fan switch on '95 and earlier engines. On OBD II ('96 and newer) the t-stat sensor is the temp sensor for the ECM. More importantly, drifto, why is the windshield washer tank on the left? Kinda' odd......

Renix's had them on the left, well atleast it was in my 87 MJ.

I'm told the temp sensor for the '92 up is also a variable output - the computer triggers the fan relay, as opposed to the 88-91 Renix, which was in the radiator and did it on it's own, off-on.

I have a '90, which I converted to open cooling, and wired a 92 t-stat neck and sender into the fan circuit. It doesn't always kick the fan in. But I can tap the relay, and it activates. I believe this is because the '92 sender doesn't send out full voltage on it's map, as described. Tapping the relay jars it enough to engage.

Lots of things move around over the years - coolant tanks, charcoal cans, wiper fluid, etc. Don't immediately expect a 88, 92, 96, and 2000 to look the same other than the 4.0. AMC, Renault, Chrysler, and Diamler all got under the hood.

Would the coolant temperature Sensor cause it to stumble on a hot start? Im thinking more and more its not the TPS Sensor as i have no idle issues when it runs.

Hallo 92'Jeeper. The CTS gives a Ohm value depent on temp. On the T house.
Also the MAT (manifold air temperature sensor)
On a 92' 68 F gives more as 11 Kohm, 210 F gives 700 Ohm.
Gives information to the ECU (Cold temp gives a richer air-fuel mix) and also to the E fan. Easy to test with a Multimeter.:wave1:

It looks like I can get a replacement for the front temp sensor for my '91 at any parts store. But I can't find any replacement for the rear sensor. Are they the same unit or what? Part store's websites aren't very descriptive.

Some places refer to them as a temperature switch, which is accurate name for it if you have an idiot light, but the more common generic name is referring to it as a gauge sender. They are sometimes listed under sensors too, but since they don't control other systems that's not really accurate.

Autozone has them under Parts -> Climate Control -> Temperature Switch. Get the one that is for idiot light or gauge, appropriately

Thanks for the tip ehall. I've seen your build thread. Its a big help to have an in depth guide like that for the same year Jeep as mine.

Am I correct that the one in the t-stat is for the computer and the one in the intake is for the temp gauge?

Yes the one in the t-stat housing is for the PCM on 91-up models. The one in the intake is for the PCM too but it's for intake air temp. The temp gauge sender for 87-96 in on the left rear of the cylinder head by the firewall, one wire.

It's not a switch, it's a temp sensor for the PCM (on 91-up) and then the PCM switches the aux cooling fan on at set temps. The washer tank was on the left side from 87 through something like 91/92/93.

I'm told the temp sensor for the '92 up is also a variable output - the computer triggers the fan relay, as opposed to the 88-91 Renix, which was in the radiator and did it on it's own, off-on.

I have a '90, which I converted to open cooling, and wired a 92 t-stat neck and sender into the fan circuit. It doesn't always kick the fan in. But I can tap the relay, and it activates. I believe this is because the '92 sender doesn't send out full voltage on it's map, as described. Tapping the relay jars it enough to engage.

Yes it's a sensor only, not a switch. 87-90 are Rennix, 91-up are HO. You would have to use in some other way a circuit that turns the relay on based on the sensors resistance

Back