• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat Housing, iron instead of aluminum

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
:idea::idea::idea:Anyone know of an iron thermostat housing for the jeep 4 liter?

Time to change the deeply pitted aluminum one out, an iron housing would corrode less (with some paint) and would never crack when tightened and heated.

I think you are probably S.O.L. the 258 is different & the later ones are aluminum anyway. maybe epoxy paint on the inside? I've see many chrome plated housings corrode clear through so that the plating was the only solid part . use a good coolant with an anti-corrosive & it won't be a problem.

anti-seize or lithium grease where the hose makes contact might help. I do this so the hose is easy to remove, but it would probably help with the corrosion problem. that is weird, that only the outside is pitted. is there enough material to file or sand the pits out?

its a timebomb.
wirebrushed it clean about 6 months ago, when i put in a 195 thermostat.
never should have reused it, but i did use silicone grease to stop further corrosion.

the deepest pits are at least 1/16 deep, leaving a paper thin wall around the radiator hose and heater hose outlets. major electrolysis.

I read on another thread 87-90 engines have an iron thermostat housing, can't seem to find anything for certain.

92DripCherokee said:
its a timebomb.
wirebrushed it clean about 6 months ago, when i put in a 195 thermostat.
never should have reused it, but i did use silicone grease to stop further corrosion.

the deepest pits are at least 1/16 deep, leaving a paper thin wall around the radiator hose and heater hose outlets. major electrolysis.

I read on another thread 87-90 engines have an iron thermostat housing, can't seem to find anything for certain.

RENIX engines do not have an iron housing - the principal difference between RENIX and HO housings is that the HO housings have the port threaded 3/8"NPT for the sensor.

Back