• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 Air Conditioner Compressor Locked Up

KennyH-96XJ-87MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Comanche with the 2.5 with a/c and power steering. The compressor locked up. Can I buy a belt for non a/c equipped vehicle and just bypass the compressor or is there other changes I need to make? I don't use the a/c it hasn't worked for about 5 years.

Thanks

As far as I know, yes, you can buy the non-ac belt and bypass it.

See the belt routing below.
beltrouting.jpg

Ah. I posted the Cherokee 2.5 routing diagram. The Comanche doesn't show the upper idler. But it's not obvious from the diagram that bypassing it will clear the water pump.

Last edited:
My 87 and 89 do not the PS idler pully either. Fig 41 with out the idler pully under the PS pump matches both of my 4.0s which have AC.

Sounds like you just need a new clutch or clutch bearing.

87/90 non a/c 4.0s have a compresser delete pulley that mounts in place of the compresser & mounting bracket. if you run the 2.5 setup the water pump runs backwards.this applies to all 4,0 cherokees but only the renix models have the a/c delete. you can swap over all the parts from a 4.0 wrangler including the water pump, but you lose the electric fan. I did this on a 95 before I found out you could modify the 91/93 aftermarket compresser delete kit to fit the 94 & later xj.

Back