• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana swap out back?

boot2thehead

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm planning on the build up of my 96 XJ, got it for cheap, well sort of cheap, and found a mess of problems with it when I got it home (remember I said cheap)

Right now my XJ has an 8.25 rear, I was thinking about swapping out a Dana in the rear, just passivly but the other day I put my foot on the top of my rear tire and rocked the rig back and forth, I've got a hell of a knocking sound coming from each wheel just rocking it with my foot... thinking that the bearings are shot. If I'm going to rebuild the corporate rear I'm wondering if the pain factor is all that much greater in rebuilding and swapping in a Dana. Like the idea of more strength and I'll have more options with lockers.

I'm a long way from being on the road and I want to plan this out right, the last thing I want to do is get it lifted and THEN decide I want to swap out the rear end...

Also I'm not sure what I'm looking for when it comes to finding a Dana, what years (I assume any for the XJ) will swap into my 96, if any fab work is needed, what I should expect to pay etc...

Thoughts?

boot2thehead said:
Also I'm not sure what I'm looking for when it comes to finding a Dana, what years (I assume any for the XJ) will swap into my 96, if any fab work is needed, what I should expect to pay etc...

Thoughts?

I think there are only 2 axles that were specced in the entirety of XJ history that wouldn't be a step backwards and only one is a dana and those are becoming more rare...

How big do you want to go in tire size?

Archdukeferdinand said:
I think there are only 2 axles that were specced in the entirety of XJ history that wouldn't be a step backwards and only one is a dana and those are becoming more rare...

dana 35, dana 44 and 8.25. I count 3:dunce:

That clunking is absolutely NORMAL for a C-clip axle,get over it.Your 96 most likely has the 29 spline axles!

Archdukeferdinand said:

Ever heard of a run on sentence? :D

xjcody said:
dana 35, dana 44 and 8.25. I count 3:dunce:
Well techically there are 4,8.25" in both 27 and 29 spline!

Then actually there are 5. Add the c-clip and non c-clip 35, but who cares. The dana 35 just plain sucks

xjcody said:
Then actually there are 5. Add the c-clip and non c-clip 35, but who cares. The dana 35 just plain sucks
Nice!Touche....

RCP Phx said:
That clunking is absolutely NORMAL for a C-clip axle,get over it.Your 96 most likely has the 29 spline axles!
Half way through '96 the 8.25 is a 29. Pre is a 27. Call you VIN into your local DC store...er Chrysler LLC store

I don't want to go any bigger than 33s but right now I am just planning on a 3 inch lift so 31s maybe 32s if I butcher the fenders, this is a non caring wonder if I can fit between those trees rig so cutting the fenders is planned but in PA I will have to run fender flairs...

If that noise is common with the c-clip rear ends then I have no problem with it and I can keep the corporate rear.

No plans on running anything bigger than a D44, not sure I can find any around here but thought that I would keep that option open. I plan on building this rig to wheel with the local club, sling some mud and learn learn learn. I've always been the "wonder how fast this thing will go" type of gear head but now I want to see WHERE I can go... Once I cut my teath on this XJ I'll buy one in much better shape to build up... right now I just want to play.

If the 8.25 is a good choice I'll keep it, but will probably end up going through it, I'll check the VIN with the dealer to see what spline count I have, 29 and it will probably stay in, 27 and I'll think about it...

Get ready for some brain picking when I start this thing, but have no fear, I'll search my ass off for existing topics before I ask.

Thanks y'all, and great forum

just keep the 8.25 til it breaks! the 29 spline is every bit as strong as a dana 44, it just don't have the locker selections. either way it's better then the dana 35! if your just building a trail rig, I'd just lincoln lock it! I'd just run it with what you have and learn away!

Back