• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD1 aw4 into an obd2 jeep

dopod

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I toasted my tranny awhile back. Picked up a new used one for real cheap. Only thing is that it's from a 93, my jeep is a 96.

What kind of problems am I going to run into trying to get this to work?

I believe it will work just fine. There were some sensor changes in 98, but that shouldn't be a concern. You may find the wiring harness connectors are different, but I'm thinking those changed in 98 as well. Use the 96 NSS, and if the other wiring harness connector is different, you can drop the pan to swap out the tranny end of the harness.

What's wrong with your current tranny, btw? Just asking since 95% of the problems I see are electrical and not mechanical.

OBDII started in 96, but the tranny changes happened in 98. It's all interchangeable if you change enough parts, but the big thing is that a 98+ trans computer needs a 98+ tranny since there was an extra sensor added to the tranny in 98. The rear output sensor also changed, but that can be swapped with the older style.

Sweet. Thanks guys.

My current tranny pukes black stinky tranny fluid from the front seal, slips like a biach in 4 low and shifts slowly. What happened was my front seal started leaking and I didn't notice at first and ran it mostly dry, which fried it.

Back