• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank sending unit

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ and need to replace the sending unit in the gas tank. Does anybody make a direct replacement? If so where might I purchase one? The parts stores do not have a replacement available for that year all they have is a generic sending unit that you have to make work. Anybody run into this before? If so what did you do to repair it?:dunno:

May as well do the fuel pump at the same time and just replace the whole assy. You have to pull it to get to it. Any good fuel pump will come pre assembled with it allready rigged together.

May i ask what your issues are with the current one?

Ever since i came off a rock and high centered the rear on my fuel tank the Fuel gauge does not work like it should, I have ran out of gas twice now with the gauge showing 1/8th tank. Before that wheelin trip my gas light worked just fine. i dont get a light now.

nw-xj-scott said:
. . . Ever since i came off a rock and high centered the rear on my fuel tank the Fuel gauge does not work like it should, I have run out of gas twice now with the gauge showing 1/8th tank. Before that wheelin trip my gas light worked just fine.
Sounds like you may have dented the tank and the sender can't drop all the way down. Peek under the plastic "skid" protector and see what happened. You might be able to drop the tank, pull the fuel pump and pound the dent out with a wood baseball bat.

Lonecountryboy, most problems with the fuel sender are due to corroded windings on the sender unit. The corrosion occurs over time, making it almost a certainty that a junk-yard unit that will fit your '88, will be as bad or worse than the one you currently have.
Trying to find an after market unit that will physically fit in place of your stock sender, and, will have the same electrical properties will be difficult, if not impossible.
I spent a lot of time trying to replace my '88 sender because it was very erratic; a good sign of the presence of "corrosion" on the windings. I could not find an acceptable alternative, other than a very expensive replacement from the dealer.
The local junk-yard insisted I pay him to pull the unit and refused to let me check it for electrical continuity, saying my only recourse if it didn't work was to return for another unit--he only had one XJ on the lot.
I chose to clean mine with CRC electrical parts cleaner. That was 3 years ago, and it's still working great.
Moral? Clean yours first, before spending time and money replacing it.

Finally got back to a computer. My problems are the erratic fuel gauge and slow fuel gauge. Filled it up and after about an hour it finally showed full. The fuel pump is supposedly new but the Whisky Tango I bought the jeep from was probably lying. I guess the next step is to replace or clean the sending unit, looks like rock auto sells a whole unit with the sending unit for $127 might just try that.

Not sure where you are located but if you have autozones they have a complete replacement with the sending unit and pump, gaskets etc. etc for $99
The part number E7091S

Back