• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

confused

mixedupjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj with 6.5 inches of lift. I recently just bought a teraflex high steering kit because i keep on bending my tie rod and drag link. I know that with the passenger hub being replaced it becomes necessary to upgrade the brake caliper. what I wanted to know is, will I be able to upgrade the driver side to the same kind of caliper to keep things evened out. also I'm not quite sure what brake calipers will work and be worth buying.

The 90 is definately the old style caliper,and yes you want them to match!

RCP Phx said:
The 90 is definately the old style caliper,and yes you want them to match!
yes x2 ,you need a 91 up drivers side steering knuckle, both hubs,calipers, rotors & brake lines,your axles will fit the later hubs which is a good upgrade I.:cheers: . think that covers it

retraction on the brakes! My Bad! cherokee brakes fit 84/89 then 90/98. you have the proper brakes already-no problem.you already have the good hubs,you just need to upgrade the axles to the 297 type if you haven't already. good luck.

cherokee chuck said:
yes x2 ,you need a 91 up drivers side steering knuckle

So, there are different steering knuckles on older axles?

I have a 97 and I just pulled out my front axle and replaced it with an older style Dana 30. I say it is older style because it was originanly a disconnect style that has been converted to non-disco.

But, now my original brake calipers don't fit on the "new" axle. The calipers seem to be too big to fit. Could this be becuase the axle has old style knuckles?

I assume I can just use my old knuckles?

Thanks.

cherokee chuck said:
retraction on the brakes! My Bad! cherokee brakes fit 84/89 then 90/98. you have the proper brakes already-no problem.you already have the good hubs,you just need to upgrade the axles to the 297 type if you haven't already. good luck.
Uhmm,no ,he's going to need to upgrade to a later knuckle on the drivers side(IIRC) the later caliper wont fit on that knuckle, plus 2 later model calipers.

Last edited:
ocean_jet said:
So, there are different steering knuckles on older axles?

I have a 97 and I just pulled out my front axle and replaced it with an older style Dana 30. I say it is older style because it was originanly a disconnect style that has been converted to non-disco.

But, now my original brake calipers don't fit on the "new" axle. The calipers seem to be too big to fit. Could this be becuase the axle has old style knuckles?

I assume I can just use my old knuckles?

Thanks.
yes, you just use your original knuckles and hubs.

Back