• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE trackbar bracket ?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a RE 5.5" LA kit on my 99 cherokee. After driving it around for a week I love the new setup. My question is..... The trackbar bracket that was supplied with the kit is interfeering with my spring on the drivers side. It is just the very edge of it, but every time the spring compresses it rubs it and makes a horrible noise, metal on metal. What should I do to solve the problem? It didn't start doing it untill after I flexed out that side. I did already have an alignment and they said that the trackbar was in the correct position.

Jack the body up and reposition the spring making sure it's sitting in the bucket correctly with the hold down tight. Then make sure the top spring pad is in and the spring is sitting in that correctly.

Take pictures of the area and post it. Also shoot spring top and bottom.

are you sure its not the swaybar hitting the spring?

krelja said:
are you sure its not the swaybar hitting the spring?

+1

My swaybar has the drop bracket, but the endlinks are still too short. And they clank off of the spring (especially in reverse). Check the coating on the sprint for any chips. Also, check to see if the endlink is kind of bent. This is on my passenger side. If you look closely, you can see how the coating on the spring is kind of chipped off.

2573708759_d560fda4b6.jpg

99XJLove said:
I recently installed a RE 5.5" LA kit on my 99 cherokee. After driving it around for a week I love the new setup. My question is..... The trackbar bracket that was supplied with the kit is interfeering with my spring on the drivers side. It is just the very edge of it, but every time the spring compresses it rubs it and makes a horrible noise, metal on metal. What should I do to solve the problem? It didn't start doing it untill after I flexed out that side. I did already have an alignment and they said that the trackbar was in the correct position.
Check your wheelbase,check your trackbar length.I ended up grinding the edge of the bracket and putting a piece of rubber hose on the spring at that spot!

Okay so I took some pictures of the problem area. In the first picture you can see that the sway bar is way away from the spring and is not causing the problem but if you look at the bottom right of the trackbar bracket you can see raw metal. It's not much so look hard right behind the spring.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

the_weirdo said:
Can you push the axle to the drivers side a little bit?

i.e shortening the track bar. Good call weirdo. The rubber hose trick would work well with a couple of zip ties too. Look at your tire spacing and see if it's uniform from side to side.

Los Lobos said:
i.e shortening the track bar. Good call weirdo. The rubber hose trick would work well with a couple of zip ties too. Look at your tire spacing and see if it's uniform from side to side.

I don't want to move the axle because it is already in the right spot. Does anyone have a picture of their drivers side spring where it sits on the axle? After looking at it I think my spring rotation is making the spring bend inwards a little bit.

*edit*

Here are a couple of pictures of how my spring sits in the axle cup. It looks like I may need to rotate it clockwise to get the problem solved, what do you think?

IMG_0203-1.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Last edited:
That's the picture I wanted earlier. The spring is not in the pocket on the bottom bucket. The clip in the back is also used as a hold down for the spring. Lift the front with a jack and rotate into place then put the hold down clamp on. Look at it and you'll see what i'm talking about, it's to the rear of the perch.

Los Lobos said:
That's the picture I wanted earlier. The spring is not in the pocket on the bottom bucket. The clip in the back is also used as a hold down for the spring. Lift the front with a jack and rotate into place then put the hold down clamp on. Look at it and you'll see what i'm talking about, it's to the rear of the perch.

Where should the clamp sit on the spring? Right now it is about 180* from the end of the spring that you can see in the picture. You can see the back side of the clamp in the background of the pic.

99XJLove said:
Where should the clamp sit on the spring? Right now it is about 180* from the end of the spring that you can see in the picture. You can see the back side of the clamp in the background of the pic.
The clamp position doesn't matter(it differs side-to-side),the spring needs to correctly sit in the "spring pocket",it should be really obvious!

RCP Phx said:
The clamp position doesn't matter(it differs side-to-side),the spring needs to correctly sit in the "spring pocket",it should be really obvious!

Right on! Rotate the spring till it drops into the recessed pocket.

Los Lobos said:
Make sure the rubber pad is on top of the spring too.

Rubber pad is on both springs. I ended up getting the springs indexed into the right positions. I can't believe that I didn't see that before. Thanks for the help guys!:cheers:

Back