• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body off '96 XJ

Old Man

NAXJA Forum User
After extensive Googling, I find no information on my latest idea. I am on old Streetrodder, in this world it is commont to cut ans paste things together. I have a Commando, and a '96 XJ; they have the same wheel base. I plan to cust the body off the XJ, along the rockers inside the floor, over the dash to preserve the firewall and remove sa muuch of the outer front clip as needed. I will cut the Commando inside the floor to match up with the XJ. When done, I'll have the XJ dash and firewall and the Commando shell with a CJ front clip grafted on. Anyone ever cut off the body of an XJ? I am going to install a cage to support the pan that will still fit inside my hard top. Classic Commando, modern drive line.

Anyone?

Thanks

Old Man

I'd pick a vehicle with a frame to do that with.

Two Harbors, MN?

I'm looking for the ride and ability to modify later, and I already own both too. I looked at a ZJ as well, but the dimensions are too far apart to make it work..... I have both rigs in running driving condition, leaf spring fronts suck to drive any distance. My previous XJ was awesome but rusted in half after 300K. There are long winters next to the stove up here we need welding smoke to keep from going crazy

I don't know if you've seen it , but someone cut an MJ off the rails and put it on an S10 frame. I know it's just the cab part but still a lot of work. It's riding in the weeds too.

Sounds like a good time to me.......But you contridicted yourself speaking
about leaf springs up front, yet it reads as if you're retaining them?

Doubt you'll find much on this subject, thats why it sounds like a good time
to me.......Coming from streetrodding/customs the internal bracing is an
excellent idea, if not a 'must'.......but I'd hold off on the time spent on a full
cage, rather I'd lean towards simple bracing prior to the proceedure, this will
save time & a money.........after the swap is somewhat complete, then I'd
build the cage and tie it into your new mounting points allowing the cage to
become truely functional.

(2 cent)

Old Man said:
Two Harbors, MN?

I'm looking for the ride and ability to modify later, and I already own both too. I looked at a ZJ as well, but the dimensions are too far apart to make it work..... I have both rigs in running driving condition, leaf spring fronts suck to drive any distance. My previous XJ was awesome but rusted in half after 300K. There are long winters next to the stove up here we need welding smoke to keep from going crazy

Nope, Two Harbors, Ca. MN is too cold for me.

Like this minus the front clip?
standard.jpg

Bought a '96 XJ with a 5 speed (bummer) and a 4" suspension lift from a guy for $230 on Craigslist(wow), runs well, clutch feels funky but it goes like nuts. I suspect deeper axle gears and a rear locker, it has 31's (MT's)and still pulls hard in all gears. I hope to start the slicing and dicing this weekend. I will cut the XJ all apart before I go after my rust free Colorado Commando tub with the saw... If this does not work I don't need to make two piles of scrap... There are a lot of XJ's out there and only a few clean Commandos, I'd better get this right.

I wouldn't cut up a Commando. Put the XJ body on a Blazer frame or something equally common.

But it does sound like a cool project.

I won't cut into the Commando until I'm 100% on the dimensions, right now it all looks good to go. I have built 19 vehicles, ranging from Jaguars to Jeeps (mild to wild) and helped with a Pro-street '39 Ford school bus with a Cummins that runs 11's in the qtr, I don't plan to make scrap, but it can happen. I guess I learned that the body and pan don't have to match building AMT styrene car models as a kid. Hey, it gest cold up here OK? We're not blessed with 'endless summers' like you LA LA or Mile-High boys.

I've never seen anything like that done before, but it sounds cool as heck.

Using the XJ "frame" wouldn't concern me as long as you add enough structure otherwise.

I have cleaned up the XJ and after some looking it seems I may try to find an automatic to cut up. This thing is too nice to chop. Someone has put a lot of parts in it. 4.56 gears, some type of lockers front a rear ( gear type not like the ratchet kind I've seen before) it has a really stiff clutch, can't tell if it's bad (grabs well) or what. The suspension lift has RS9000's and sway bar disconnects.... I am looking at building a cruiser not a bruiser. Might just resell it and see if I can score a newer one (97+) with an automatic. I'll add a 2" budget boost so the ride is maintained.. This '96 is really stiff.

On a brighter note, the tape measure says it's going to work. I will have to fabricate a panel between the XJ dash and windshield so the defrosters will actually point at the glass. The door opening/seat position is 2" further back than the Commando was, so I'll have to slide back a bit getting in. Might be a bummer as I get older and stiffer. The firewalls are almost the same shape, the body will be 4" wider overall, I'll have to get different offset wheels to make it look right. I will have to use a C-101 or short CJ front clip, inner fenders might be interesting to fab since almost all of the XJ front has to be retained to support the suspension. I definitely will have to tie the cage to the front and add a bar between the towers. Lots of room under the CJ hood.

Thanks to those who support creativity, I'll keep all you nay-sayers posted.

winkosmosis said:
Don't do it
wow, thats some optimism for you.

i say go for it. brace the body from the inside like you would if you were chopping the top of a model A.
make sure you start a thread to show your progress. take lots of pics for us.

Back