• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question ASAP

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 2000 xj with an np231 transfer case. I just had the transfer case removed and split to replace some warn seals on the inside. About a week after that is started leaking again. The second guy i took it to to check the new leak said that it was sealed with the wrong sealant. He said that an RTV sealant was used, which is not compatable with the aluminum transfer case and that an anorobic sealant should be used instead. Is this true?

I used "Ultra Black" high temp RTV on my transfercase and it hasn't leaked. Sounds like the first guy didn't do it properly, or one of your output seals is buggered.

Anaerobic means without air. In regards to sealant I would assume that the sealant needs to cure in an anaerobic environment. That has nothing to do with the aluminum case since both metal and/or aluminum cases are going to need to cure under anaerobic conditions.

If the guy blames the first person who seals it too much I'd ask him if he even knew what the word anaerobic meant.

More than likely the first time it was sealed it wasn't torqued down to specs or the bolts weren't tightened in a criss-cross type pattern. Either that or the case wasn't cleaned properly prior to being sealed.

climbingbum said:
He said that an RTV sealant was used, which is not compatable with the aluminum transfer case and that an anorobic sealant should be used instead. Is this true?

5-90 would find his claim most interesting since he preaches using high temp copper RTV on many things, like the manifold gasket and aluminum intake manifold which is aluminum.

Perhaps it has more to do with the sealing location than the aluminum? :dunno:

The factory manual calls for "Mopar Gasket Maker." It's an anaerobic sealer that is specifically billed as "compatible with aluminum." Permatex makes a similar sealer that differs from their ordinary RTV.

I suspect the second mechanic may be right, and that an ordinary RTV silicone might be wrong for the job.

Back