• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj knuckle swap...

recycledxj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I think I have this figured out to do this swap... I have pulled a set of knuckles and a set of used calibers(only using for mock up, will buy a set of the new style for final install) for 80 bucks. Now all I have to do is to get the jks hup spacer 2000 are newer hubs and have the wj rotors redrilled for the bp. Here is a thought behind this... I have mocked up using hubs off of a 89, bolted it to the knuckle, then using 2003 explorer sport trac rotors, then i relized to have the rotor centered for the caliper braket I needed a 1/4 inch wheel spacer between the hub and rotor. But today I found that I need a hub spacer to make the hub work properley. So in theory I dont need to have the wj rotors returned just use the 89 hubs and 2003 sport trac rotors... does this sound right...

madmax said:
NO you need to use 91 and new hubs

The hubs are the same for 87-90 and 91-99. There are two different hubs of course, but there were the same two different for both sides of that year brake (std vs premium brakes).

The hub change was at 2000, and you need 2000+ hubs with WJ rotors, I'd assume its the same with sport track rotors.

I work in a parts store, and the hub for the 92-99 sticks out .3 inchs more then the one from 89... i can print out the demensions if u like....

The one that sticks out more is for composite rotors and it has nothing to do with 1992, or 1991 which would be the cutover year if there were one.

I dont know is weird all I know for my buddys 98 tj, when he blew out the front hub we thought we could use one off of a 88 xj and when we put the rotor on it hit the knuckle... and when I looked up the part numbers for 89 and 92 there was 2 different part numbers and the demensions show like I said the 92 sticks out .3 inchs farther... and there was no option for different rotors on either one...

Back