• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low profile tires causing rough ride

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Cherokee. I just rebuilt the front end, new steering arm, tie rod ends, stabalizer shock, alignment, etc.

Then I put on a set of wheels I bought on craigslist, real nice 17" rims. It looks really sharp, but the ride is very stiff. I assume it is because of the low profile tires, they are P255/55R17's. They look really sharp, but the ride is uncomfortable. My question is, do you think that the tires are to blame for the ride quality?

Follow up question, I have an opportunity to purchase a set of tires that are P245/65R17's. Would you think these would improve the ride quality?

Thanks,
Sammer

Depending on the tire they should impove the ride. On something with a low tech suspension like an XJ, tires make a huge difference in ride quality.

yes, low profile tires ride harsh and the sidewall height of a 245/65 is not that much taller than a 255/55, so it would not be that much of a change. the simplest way to explain it is the shorter the sidewall the less the tire cushions your rig, & a 245 is narrower than a 255 so even though it's a 65 series instead of a 55 it's not really much taller. the 55/65 refers to the percentage of sidewall height to section width.

Thanks for all the information. I dont think it really is bling, its just a good looking set of rims on the Jeep. I got them for a really good price, I like the way they fill the wheelwell.

I guess my next question is, what is the tallest tire (17") that will fit in my wheelwell?

I think I inserted an image below.

Sammer

sambilbrey

I would recommend consulting your local tire shop and seeing what they offer that would keep your overall tire diameter close to stock. Your rim width will be a factor in what tires fit as well. At that rim size, you probably won't be able to fit anything with much more sidewall than you have now, whether you go wider and lower, or narrower and higher aspect ratio.

Be prepared for lots of advice to ditch the plus sized rims and put offroad tires on it otherwise.

OK, so next question, now I have a set of 17" rims with low profile tires that I need to sell. I know the Jeep bolt pattern is the same as other vehicles, which ones?

Thanks,
Sammer

Ford rwd passenger cars,Ford ranger & siblings,Chrysler rwd,80 & older dodge 1/2 ton trucks & vans & 2wd toyota p/u are the most common. 70 & earlier Dodge Dart & Valiant/Duster do not fit. they make some nice 35" & 37" off road 17" tires. jack that bad boy up 6" & you can run some 17"s

Thanks for posting the image, was I doing something wrong when I tried to include it?

I know, I really like the look, but the ride is terrible. I am open to suggestions...Maybe a 3" lift. What size 17" would fit then? Would that make for a better ride?

I really like the rims.

Sammer

Back