• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard pack

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to do a bastard pack lift for my rear.Is there anything that I need to get besides the paint to clean them up a little?Different bolts or anything??

I don't know about any of that,
but I do know there was a write up done on here not long ago on the whole process.

Search, and you'll find more info and less flames.

Ya I do know about the write up on it.Thats why im doing it.But I was wondering if anyone had personal problems or no problems .......what they didnt have to do or what they need to do

Maybe new centering bolts. When I did mine I had a hard time getting them to come loose so I cut them off and used new ones. Since then I have been using a pipe wrench to hold them.

You need new center pins (5/16"?) & new u-bolts for your axle. Possibly you can buy a set of u-bolts with shims to help our new driveline angle (I got a set from quadratec with shims when I did mine)

That link is probably the best one for a "step by step" solution to the bastard pack.
I see that this is the second mod tech post you've placed in OEM tech.
OEM tech is for things that came from the factory. This post belongs in Mod tech.
Not trying to bust balls, just trying to get you to the right place to get help.

I did this with the S10 leaf pack. Some people use the 5/16 center pin that is the XJ size but the S10 is 3/8. I got the 3/8 and drilled out the XJ center pin hole to match. You will need spring clips like mentioned before. The S10 leaf packs I got had the spring clips welded/riveted on. What I did was drill them out with a 1/2 bit and used the new hole to put in spring pads. I painted my springs with some ACE brand anti-rust paint then hit them with the dry graphite paint to act as a lubricant. To make assembly easier I just took the leaf packs off the Jeep put the S10 leafs in, new center pins, new spring clamps, and then put them on the Jeep. I did not use the S10 main leaf because I only wanted around 4'' of lift and it’s about what I got. You will need a new rear brake line. I bought a new rear brake line for a 95 Wrangler with is 3" longer than stock XJ. This gave me plenty of slack in the rear line at full flex. I used new u-bolts as well. I recommend PB Blaster for all bolts you plan on removing for your project starting a couple days before up to when you remove them. I had no problems with any broken bolts or any trouble removing any bolts and my XJ is an 86. If you have any more questions on the process feel free to ask me and I will help where I can.

On the centering pins can I get those at a hardwear store or some kind of shop??Ive got new ubolts when I bought rustys 2in blocks&also have extended break lines I bought awhile back just never put them on.Anything I missed?

XJBeater said:
Napa has center pins. Bring 5 bucks. You will need longer shocks if you dont already have(which i assume you do from the previous lift)
You betch ya.I just dont wont to get started and forget something and have to run out and get it.I just put on my front coils.So now Ill be doing the back.Just have to find a local junk yard.I just moved here so I hvae no idea wwere anything is.:passgas:

kevin s said:
...and get a set of spring clips, two per pack. There's a link in the aformentioned writeup.
Can I get the spring clips at a local auto store,and will they fit once I have the new leafs on?Thay wont be to small or do they stretch?

Back