• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting a lift?

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
I am soon to put the Rock Krawler 8" LA on my 89 and I was wondering if I can squeeze an extra few inches out somewhere. I am open for suggestion. I will modify within reason but not too far to where they do not warranty or at least not removable to take pictures for ;). I am just wanting to get everything here so when I do it, I can do it all at one time. Thanks

James

If it doesn't come a longer shackle or front coil spacer than you can easily add those. In my experience any lift I've done has ended up being at least an inch more than stated even after settling.

JamesD said:
I am soon to put the Rock Krawler 8" LA on my 89 and I was wondering if I can squeeze an extra few inches out somewhere. I am open for suggestion. I will modify within reason but not too far to where they do not warranty or at least not removable to take pictures for ;). I am just wanting to get everything here so when I do it, I can do it all at one time. Thanks

James

well i think the rk kit uses rear leaves and shackles to achieve the full 8 inches, if it is a full leaf then u could use a set of lift shackles in the rear and some coil spacers or acos in the front, thats about the only options worth trying, but then again i don't know if their 8 inch rear lift is a 6 inch spring with a 2" shackle. but i will also ask, what necessitates more than 8 inches? what size tires are you running?

We do alot of trail riding and things and most guys run 44's and I want to have the capability to do this if necessary. I was thinking some urethane spacers for the front and possibly some longer shackles in the back but I just wonder if this will throw any geometry off or cause any problems.

No but if I want to ride down certain trails in the bottoms then I need to be taller which in turns drives me towards more lift and bigger tires. I would like to run 39.5's climbing but if we go jumping off in some deep bottoms I would like a little more height.

You'll need to rework your steering at these heights as well, and your trackbar will probably be marginal at best. Have you upgraded axles to handle such large tires?

JamesD said:
Working on axles currently. I am converting over to full hydro steer.

OK, so you know how to do all this and you can't figure out how to add a budget boost on top of a lift kit?

No, I know how, I was just wondering if someone has done this or if I would run into any trouble in doing this. I am not ignorant to the way it works, I was just looking for any input or some kind of guidance as to if there is a superior way than another.

JamesD said:
We do alot of trail riding and things and most guys run 44's and I want to have the capability to do this if necessary. I was thinking some urethane spacers for the front and possibly some longer shackles in the back but I just wonder if this will throw any geometry off or cause any problems.

what are you driving over school buses? i run my little DD , fully locked xj on 33's down buggy trails and its none the worse for wear, the sliders need a new coat of paint but thats the point of having them there increase in tire size doesn't hold a candle to the worth of driver skill in those situations

you dont need big axles to run big tires, im plannin on runnin 36" Iroks on a 30/8.25 combo :D

JamesD said:
I was just looking for any input or some kind of guidance as to if there is a superior way than another.

the superior way to do it... is not to...

8" is pleanty for 44's...

get out your sawzall, tube bender, welder, and make em fit...

with full hydro i dont think you'll be cruzin the highways too often...

It is mainly deep water and soupy mud when we go on the trails in the bottoms. I just want it to be tall enough that I can go along with the guys with like 14" of lift and not have to try to dodge the deep stuff. Most guys around here run 44's or bigger when we go. I like to crawl but I want to have enough lift so that I can go there also.

No highway for me. It's a trailer queen. I have removed the roof and have a roll cage and I am definately hacking the fenders up so modification of the body is a requirement. I just want to get the most out of it I can but within reason.

Back