• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Diff fluids

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the D30 locker in last week and started to notice a slow leaking of diff fluids coming out the Axle shaft on the driver side.

828200312647PM46020.jpg

The locker installed went smoothly without any issues. Did the axle oil seal came loose or tear during my attempts to re-install the axle shafts into the tubes?

Any ideas?

It could have been a lil tweaked when you pulled the axle out and slid it back...have heard of that happening on the 30's.

Murphey law says this is a one in a million but when I replaced one of my u-joints, I noticed a little diff came out on the first few miles after the change out, but it quit. I theorized that a little fluid spilled past the seal when the axle was removed and eventually made its way out. I've checked the level and its still good, so it was a minor amount. Maybe you should monitor it a day or two before you make up your mind to go into it. You may be having a similar experience.

Thanks, that was my first assumption. I'll monitor the fluid level and leakage area for a few more days. If it continues to leak, I'll then take it all apart and purchase new seals. :(

That outer plastic "seal" on the axle is just to keep mud and dirt out of there. Most likely you either messed up the seal inside the housing a lil or like some have said, it is just leaking a lil until it can seal itself back up. Those seals are very sensitive and if you let them dry out, they are done. If it keeps leaking, then worry about it, but I'd say give it some time and it should stop.

good luck,
Rob

Back