• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buy it or Not? Help Quick!

cumminsram96

NAXJA Forum User
Returning member with a new name, been away from the XJ scene for awhile and looking to get back into it.
I found a 99 XJ for sale, the owner only wants $2800. After talking with the owner I found out that it was a salvage vehicle from an owner previous to him. This guy doesn't know what happened to it before or why it was given a salvage title. He went on to state that the tires all are wearing equally and it tracks straight, no apparent unibody damage.
He also mentioned that it has a slighly rough idle, probably needs a tune up, and the speedometer will jump around once in awhile, but works again after starting the truck, sounds like a speed sensor there. He also mentioned that since it was a salvage title that he only wants $1500 for it. The owner seems very forward and truthfull about it.
So knowing this stuff whould you buy it or not? I'm meeting him later to look it over and decide, I'm gonna get the VIN and get a carfax report to be sure but it sounds pretty good to me?

for $1500 it doesn't sound like a tough decision to me. Carfax will tell the tale, but I'd go for it.

Check your frame. Look for any obvious damage. If it is a flood car I'd pass, unless you plan on replacing everything electrical. If it was a wrecked vehicle and you mainly plan on wheeling it then I would not worry too much about how bad it was.

Pull up the rugs to to see if there's any rust.
Obviously examine the unibody lines off the front and rear bumpers and around the wheel wells looking for evidence of wrinkling.
Make sure the rear hatch fits evenly all the way around.
Look for uneven gaps around the doors and around the hood.
Stand on a box & look down the roof along the length of the car.
Check the rear quarter windows for a good fit.
Measure from the middle of the rear wheel to middle of front wheel on both sides.

Went and saw the Jeep today. Come to find out it was in an accident and was hit in the passenger side front fender. It got a new fender, grill, and bumper. There is no apparent frame damage, the only issue is the grille doesn't sit 100% right with the fenders and hood, it's very close and looks like it can be adjusted, or replacing some minor parts as worst.
It is leaking oil at the valve cover, and from around the crank case breather, both are easy enough fixes. The idle is just slightly rough and barely noticable, sounds as if it needs a tune up or a sensor or two replaced.
AC blows cold, tranny shifts great, and interior looks great except for a few burns in the front seat.
It is a 98 model not a 99, and it has the factory tow package.
Only issue left is the dash gauges don't work intermittantly. The owner said he had no problem fixing it before he sold it to me. So I'm going to pick it up Tuesday as long as he gets the dash fixed.
So what to change first, looking for most efficency first. Intake, exhaust, programmer?

Good shopping!

First thing to change for efficency? Get your foot off the gas. Keep it under 70mph. On surface streets, coast the last 2-300 yards to a light/stopsign. On the freeway, if you have to brake for the car in front of you, you're following too close.

Those changes will net 1.5-2mpg

Have him send the jeep to an out-side mechanic for reveiw. If he refuse that you know there is something he is not saying to you. With a big prices drop as that I would not buy it. autotrader is showing 99 are going for about 4k~6K that is 2k more. Unless your planing to use it a trail rig than put the money down. And get a carfax report It did help me not to buy a jeep I was thinking about getting. The report I got showed that jeep had 3 owner in the last year.

at $1500 it's doubtful if the owner will want to go thru the hassle of having a mechanic check it out. at a bargain price like that if it runs good and it's presentable you should buy it. if you are not up to a project you should wait untill you can pay $4500 for a nice rig with a clean title. Just one guys opinion for what its worth.

Well the owner offered to fix the only real problem, the dash gauges and we came to an agreement. The next day I call him to see if he got a chance to look into the gauges and he tells me that he has decided to keep it for himself! I wish you could strangle people through the phone!
Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Back