• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad pop (steering)

rifle6

NAXJA Forum User
got a problem,
when not moveing if i turn the wheel all the way to the left and back to the right i get a POP. or click. only once,
if i repeat this it will do it again one time.
i have noticed it while driving, but not all the time,
it does it more if there is any flex going on at the same time.

also it did it before AND after the lift,
i have looked and looked but can't find it, could it be the steering box? (hope not)

Track bar bolts.
Especially the frame mount. Very common to appear tight, but not tight enough.

X2 on checking the track bar bolts. I would also check your control arm bolts

xjbubba said:
Track bar bolts.
Especially the frame mount. Very common to appear tight, but not tight enough.
X2 I've had a popping for a while, the bolts on mine can't tighten anymore, but the bracket definitely moves.

Have someone get in your Jeep, and start turning the wheels lock to lock, you will see the bracket moving.

Loosen all the track bar bolts and re-tighten them. You probably won't be able to tighten them without loosening them. That's what I had to do anyways.

I had the same noise on mine, I had it aligned and he told me to tighten up my trackbar, I just put it on tight as I could possibly get it with a big wrench. I went back with a wrench with the levrage of a jack handle and was able to get another almost full turn tighter. noise went away. I could not belive how damn tight you have to crank those guys!

Check your endlinks on the swaybar. make sure they are adjusted properly and not contacting the springs. Mine does it in reverse mostly.

This is my passenger side swaybar endlink. See how it's bent? The endlink just isn't long enough; even with the drop bracket.

2573708759_d560fda4b6.jpg

swaybars are over rated IMO

steering box bolts. tighten the crap outa them

Back