• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90s VW TDI Swap

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking into doing a diesel swap for a while now, and really like the idea of going with an engine from a 90's VW. Possibly a 1.9L TDI? Similar to what they did on Extreme 4x4 with the Sami. Or a VM Motori 2.5L engine (don't know about the availability of that one..) or even the 2.8L VM Motori that came in the Liberty.

Basically I'm just curious as to how difficult such a swap would be, how hard it would be to find one of these engines, and what something like this might cost.

I really like the idea of getting in the 20-30 mpg range, and the possibility of running biodiesel/SVO.

the POS 1.9TDI is a bad mate for the XJ.

The VM 2.8 from the US liberties is a good swap, take the VM28, 545RFE, and NP242 together, make yourself mounts and driveshafts, make your adapter plugs, and drop into an XJ.

Wiring is the easy part, making all the rest of it fit and work is the hard part.

Something like this is an excellent parts vehicle, and will probably sell for about 3k:
http://www.klode.com/Kws/Napplications/display_pics.aspx?Stockid=885709&Exit=Close

You may wish to follow my VM swap thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955062

Things to consider in doing a diesel swap.

1. Integrating into your drive train you would most likely need an adapter to go to your stock transmission. Novak or Advance adapters is a good place to start.

2. Electronic integration. I believe most of those newer diesels have an ECU. If your running an AW4 tranny you have a Tranny computer you would need to integrate. IT has been done though.

I am just about ready to do my diesel swap into my 97 XJ. To simplfy these hurdles I went with a GM V8 6.2l Detroit which has very little in the way of electronics. No computer just glow plug circuits and such. I am also using a tranny and transfercase that bolts right up without adapters.

I think the 1.9 would be too small for the XJ. There was a stock turbo diesel XJ in the 80's. 2.5l IIRC. If you look you can find them. Most say they were a bit underpowered though.

HTH

Jeremy

DrSockMonkey said:
Things to consider in doing a diesel swap.

1. Integrating into your drive train you would most likely need an adapter to go to your stock transmission. Novak or Advance adapters is a good place to start.

2. Electronic integration. I believe most of those newer diesels have an ECU. If your running an AW4 tranny you have a Tranny computer you would need to integrate. IT has been done though.

I am just about ready to do my diesel swap into my 97 XJ. To simplfy these hurdles I went with a GM V8 6.2l Detroit which has very little in the way of electronics. No computer just glow plug circuits and such. I am also using a tranny and transfercase that bolts right up without adapters.

I think the 1.9 would be too small for the XJ. There was a stock turbo diesel XJ in the 80's. 2.5l IIRC. If you look you can find them. Most say they were a bit underpowered though.

HTH

Jeremy

2.1L.

If you really wanted to have a stock XJ conversion you could grab a front clip for a XJ diesel out of europe.

a 4bt is another option, but it is big, heavy, and old tech - it would be improved if you took the EFI system off a dodge cummins, and adapted it for the 4bt.

At the end of the day the best option for a diesel is a liberty. Take the VM engine out of the Kj and call it a day. I love my liberty CRD, with the VGT turbo it boost VERY fast. my 98 MB E300TD gets up and scoots, but the turbo lag is noticable, the KJ with the CRD boosts QUICK with the VTG/VNT turbo.

igotanxj said:
You could find an 85 or 85 with the 2.1 Turbo Diesel Renault :)

Craptastic engine that is hard to find and expensive to find.

zluster said:
4bt is another option, but it is big, heavy, and old tech - it would be improved if you took the EFI system off a dodge cummins, and adapted it for the 4bt.
This is an awesome engine, but x2 on VERY heavy and also very tall. Has been done though.

I have a friend that has had several VW TDI's and they have all been great. I've discussed putting one in an XJ with him but he thinks it would be underpowered as well. If gas mileage is your main concern though, it's not much less power than the I4 you can get with Jeeps.

Markos said:
Can you please fill us all in on why the 1.9 TDI is a POS?
I would NEVER say it's a POS. It's a great engine. Great for Sami's. The XJ is a bit bigger and heavier and it comes in being a bit underpowered. The stock 2.1 renault is underpowered as well. Someone said there were mods for the 1.9 which wouldn;t suprise me, and taking these mods into consideration it may be a worthwhile swap. My question would be does the cost of the mods bear out in the performance. Not saying it wouldn't, it's just I'm a cheap bastid.

DrSockMonkey said:
I would NEVER say it's a POS. It's a great engine. Great for Sami's. The XJ is a bit bigger and heavier and it comes in being a bit underpowered. The stock 2.1 renault is underpowered as well. Someone said there were mods for the 1.9 which wouldn;t suprise me, and taking these mods into consideration it may be a worthwhile swap. My question would be does the cost of the mods bear out in the performance. Not saying it wouldn't, it's just I'm a cheap bastid.

Yeah, I've heard of the mods too, and wonder the same thing. My main concern would be mileage, and of course having the same (if not more) torque. In all honesty I'd just love to be off of gasoline and running biodiesel/SVO.

I guess I should've asked which swap would be the cheapest/ least complicated:

1.9L TDI
6 cyl Volvo Turbodiesel
Peugeot Diesel
Cummins 6AT (apparently puts out 120/230)
Merc inline 5 from 300D
Liberty Diesel

any others?

btfury said:
Yeah, I've heard of the mods too, and wonder the same thing. My main concern would be mileage, and of course having the same (if not more) torque. In all honesty I'd just love to be off of gasoline and running biodiesel/SVO.

I guess I should've asked which swap would be the cheapest/ least complicated:

1.9L TDI
6 cyl Volvo Turbodiesel
Peugeot Diesel
Cummins 6AT (apparently puts out 120/230)
Merc inline 5 from 300D
Liberty Diesel

any others?

the liberty CRD is the best option. you get jeep original parts, you can even get the motor mounts to bolt the engine into a cherokee.

the VGT on the KJ CRD boost QUICK. ya there is turbo lag, but once it spools, about 1 sec after you hit the gas, you will break the rear end loose.

of all the diesels you could find in the US, the KJ CRD is the best swap for the XJ/MJ.

Back