• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ wont start?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ wont start. In the milage gauge it reeds no bu5. Anyone know what that means?

It usually means you have a bad connection to the back of the gauge panel.

How much do you think the dealer will charge to fix something like that. Sounds like they would need to pull the cluster out.

I have no idea. If you search the forum, you'll find lot's of "no bus" posts. Most take the cluster out themselves and clean the connections.

"no bus" on a newer XJ can also mean that his CPS (Crank Position Sensor) has failed if i'm not mistaken...

My CPS is fairly new. Maybee it has failed. thanks for the info.

It could mean a failure in any of the modules onboard. They communicate with each other via bus

chris420 said:
My XJ wont start. In the mileage gauge it reeds no bu5. Anyone know what that means?

The most common reason for no bus is a loose connection behind the instrument cluster. Whack the top of the dash firmly with the palm of your hand. Honest, it really works.

Here is a write-up on how to fix the bad connection - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179282 - it for a Wrangler but the Cherokee is similar.

The next most common reason for a no-bus is a bad CPS or a problem with the wires to the CPS. Inspect the CPS wire plug and wires for damaged or broken wires.

Thanks for the help. I had know idea that it is a common problem with clusters on XJ's.

Back